Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 Clipper door lock removal without key
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Process on my clipper is slow but there is progress ... (spring is faster though)

Since the car came without keys (just one that fits ignition) I took out the door and trunk locks to get my locksmith code some new keys.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Question is: How to get the locks out of there respective housing without the keys?

Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2015/4/13 5:20
Ok, well for starters I'll have
Who, What, When and Where,
and then Whither, Whether, Whence and Wherefore to follow
and one big sideorder of Why.

... and the parts list please
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 Clipper door lock removal without key
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Question is: How to get the locks out of there respective housing without the keys?

1. They are easy locks to "pick"; if you don't want to try it, a good locksmith should make fast work of it. Inexpensive lock pick sets are available from Southord, their PXS-05 is a good starter kit.

2. Not sure how long Packard continued the practice of ink-stamping the key numbers on the backside of the patent plate, have you taken a look?
(PS- apparently 1937 +/- a year was the last year that this practice was used.)

3. A real long shot but I have records of a couple of hundred 47 Clippers with the key numbers. PM me the theft-proof # and I'll take a look but don't hold your breath.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 8:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Thank you for your reply Owen,

1. I tried to pick the locks but to no avail. Maybe the locksmith tomorrow knows his trade better than I do Resized Image

2. The patent plate is that square plate screwed to the top left side of the engine compartment? Just had a look there, no numbers on the back. Even if there were numbers the would have been of little or no use at all: the door locks on driver's and passenger's side are clearly different, so maybe one or both of them have been replaced before.

3. PM sent ...

Resized Image

Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2015/4/13 15:51

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
In my 47 Clipper the ignition key locks and unlocks the doors?-Not sure if that is Normal

Posted on: 2015/4/14 10:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

packard1949 wrote:
In my 47 Clipper the ignition key locks and unlocks the doors?-Not sure if that is Normal

It is. In almost all Packards the round head key was ignition and door and octagonal key was glove box and trunk.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 10:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Thanks for all the input!
Funny thing to mention: The key I do have for the ignition is octogonal, therefore it is not a correct one?

Been at the locksmith, but to no avail ...
It is either risking the chrome bezel on the lock housing while trying to take out the lock cylinder or destroying the lock.
Since it is the cheaper method I choose the latter and will order some new locks and key blanks.

Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2015/4/14 16:19

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved