Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 118

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Hi guys, my engine problem started Sunday on the way home from a short ride. Was driving about 45 mph for several miles, stopped at a red light and when the light changed we took off normally, made a left turn and all of a sudden the car started shaking pretty badly. We were only about a mile from home so I decided to try and make it home, and did. What I found was the front two cylinders were not firing. I grounded all the plugs one at a time and the two front ones were dead. I pulled the plugs and they were fouled. Very unusual that two go out at the same moment, never had that happen before. I'll check the compression later today, just wondering what you might think is wrong. Just seems odd that two cylinders go dead at once. I did swap plugs just to make sure and the problem stayed in the two front cylinders. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Richie.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 10:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Blown head gasket.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/4/14 10:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Your head gasket has blown between those two cylinders.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 10:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
those 2 cables shorting to each other? I have had problems in the past with cables "leaking" thru the skin.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Thank you JW, Ross and Packard 1949. I'll check the wires first and then take the compression test. Appreciate the help. If it is the head gasket, where's the best place to get one? The car is a 47 Clipper Deluxe 282 engine. Thanks again, Richie.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 10:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If it is the head gasket, where's the best place to get one?

All the major suppliers of engine parts will have the head gasket, pick the one you like to deal with the most; Egge, Kanter Auto Parts, Max Merritt among others.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 10:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Back again, took the compression test and #1 and #2 cylinders have "0" compression. I took #3 and it is just over 100. I'll order a gasket today and start my project tomorrow. Thanks guys for the guidance. Richie.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 14:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Owen_Dyneto, Thanks for the parts info, I'm going to try NAPA here first. Richie.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 14:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Richie, I don't know if this will help, but if your replacing the head gasket yourself. I would remove all nuts and hardware and with the sparkplugs still in, crank the engine over a couple of times. This should loosen the head over the good cylinders and then use a thin putty blade to work the forward part of the head loose. Maybe something in the middle to hold the head up in the back and then push down on the rear of the head to break the forward loose. Also a good engine hoist makes the job a lot easier. And while you have the head off, have it check that it's flat.
Now that I think of it, when was the last time you checked the torque of your head nuts? Maybe it's too late now, but just asking.
Wes
Just my two cents!

Posted on: 2015/4/17 8:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good advice from Wesley. And if you've not done a head gasket job on this type of engine, you might want to browse this tech letter first.

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=863

Posted on: 2015/4/17 8:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved