Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
31 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 30

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Craig's Panther Project -- Brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
This thread describes the new modern brake booster and modified stock pedal I am using on my Panther Project.

The booster is a new Master Power Brakes (MPB) #1007 7IN dual diaphram one. As you will see, it is mounted high on the firewall above the stock air vent and below the cowl lip. I am rewiring the whole car using a Painless brand generic wiring kit for large vehicles (same as KevinAZ used on his 55 400), so the holes in the firewall for the stock wiring harness are not needed, but YMMV.

The modified pedal will be described in the next post.

Cutting the holes for the MPB:
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

After the center hole was cut, four holes for the threaded studs on the back face of the booster were drilled and the booster trial mounted.
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

Inside view with stock 1956 Packard brake pedal assembly:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/4/17 14:49
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Craig's Panther Project -- Brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
In order to get the required 4:1 pedal leverage needed by the MPB booster, I relocated the stock pivot brackets up the inside of the firewall near the external cowl lip. I cut down the pivot bar left side (Wilwood clutch pedal on the left of the picture):

I made a mockup using some bendable steel flat and duct tape. I had my local machine shop duplicate the dog-leg bends with welded 1/8IN steel "U" channel.

Resized Image

The pedal is in exactly the stock position and distance from the toe board. The pedal leverage is exactly 4:1.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Here is a closeup of the pivot thru bolt used to attach the MPB threaded actuator rod and heim end to the modified brake pedal arm:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/4/17 15:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I decided that the firewall was too ugly to be looking at later with all the various size unused holes and patch panels:

Resized Image

So I made up a pair of "skin panels" out of 16GA flat sheet stock to make it pretty. Left (driver) side shown:

Resized Image
Resized Image

The top unused hole is for the wire to the electric wiper motor and the bottom hole is for the cable to actuate the vent flap control.

Later, the MPB, etc will be unmounted and the skin panel will be edge welded in place and then painted the same color as the body, whatever that is.

Comments and questions welcome.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/4/17 15:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Craig, I really like this set up and your peddle design a thousand times more than the first test cutting a 56 peddle etc. Great work

Posted on: 2015/4/17 20:35
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Clever and very nice work. However, i have to ask: Does the extended pedal have enuf travel (before hitting floor board) to bottom out, or at least very nearly bottom out, the master cylinder.
Now i'm fully confident that Craig has the any pedal travel issues well considered, but maybe the removeabl toe board needs to be recessed????

Posted on: 2015/4/18 9:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
PackardV8 Quote:
Does the extended pedal have enuf travel (before hitting floor board) to bottom out, or at least very nearly bottom out, the master cylinder.

Keith, a good question. I will not know for certain until I get the correct disc/disc MC installed, plumbed and system bled, but I am very confident my arrangement will have sufficient pedal travel. The reason is my experience with the MPB #1001 (#1007 predecessor) booster in my 55 Pat and how much travel it has to fully engage. Also, the height of the pedal above the floor is adjustable with the threaded actuator rod in the MPB booster and threaded heim end, so that could provide more travel, if needed.

I will not be using the original toe plate, but I will fab one up out of 16GA flat sheet metal.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/4/18 12:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved