Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 164

BigKev, bkazmer, Tom (Packin31), TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953-ish Front Suspension Rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

Richter12x2
See User information
I have the service manual, but I was wondering if anyone had run across a writeup on refurbishing the front suspension?

Mostly interested in separating the bushings and arms and whatnot. I'm sure I can muddle through, but while I'm stuck at work I was hoping to run across some tips and tricks that might help me get the upper and lower arms separated from the pieces that bolt to the chassis. Just don't want to mess anything up.

Things like the fact that you should use a hex key to remove the adjustable pin for the top link. (Which I obviously found.)

Like how does one remove the end caps?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2015/4/20 10:37
 Top  Print 

Re: 1953-ish Front Suspension Rebuild
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might check out the 55-6 SM suspension & steering section.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5556/Sect16_Suspension_Steering.pdf The basics on that part of the V8s are the same as earlier and probably a repeat of the 51-4 manual but there might be a tidbit or two extra. If not, at least the photos are better. Just ignore the part right at the first on holding the load arm. Some Clippers used the conventional suspension in 55 and that is mostly what they show in the photos.

Posted on: 2015/4/20 11:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richter12x2
See User information
Hmm, thanks for the response! You're right, pretty much the same as the 53 manual. I'm almost done with the rear differential section (now I can roll it around on its own rear tires again!) so when I get a chance to mess with it again, maybe it'll make more sense.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 15:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard's front suspension thru 1954 is very similar to others of the era, Brand X, Brand Y, etc. Just basic A-frame, inner and outer upper and lower control arm pins, king pins, etc. If you can locate a Motor's Manual covering the early 50s you'll find some good information about servicing them.

Posted on: 2015/6/5 6:36
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved