Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 Patty rear brakes
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

BrianG
See User information
Hello Everyone! Haven't been on here much the past month or so. Starting on the the brakes of this beauty. Was wondering if I'm missing something taking off the rear drum of this Patrician. Took off cotter pin, nut, and washer. Backed off shoes. Is there anything else I'm missing to do?? I have the fronts off. They came off soooo easy! King pins are in really good shape(no play). Thanks, Brian.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 16:50
 Top  Print 

Re: 54 Patty rear brakes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Haven't read your shop manual? If you don't have one, you should consider buying one or using an on-line version. You need a drum puller; plenty of discussion and pictures about drum removal if you want to search - I'll bet this question has come up 500 times.

In a nutshell, put the axle nut back on loosely just a few turns; the reasons for this are (1) to minimize damage to the threads, and (2) to prevent the drum from coming off violently and possibly causing harm to it or you. Then assemble the puller and apply tension with sharp raps from a heavy (4 lb?) hammer - sometimes it takes quite a bit of force as you see on the ears of the pictured puller, other times the drum comes right off. It it's stubborn, leave the puller under tension overnight. Do NOT hit the puller shaft end and hence the axle end as is sometimes suggested, damage to the wheel bearings and differential thrust block can result. And when reassembling, avoid the temptation to use Never-Seize or any other oil or grease on the taper - it's to be assembled DRY. Torque on the nut is in the shop manual but in the range of 200 -270 ft-lbs.

A second type of puller is here, different style but same principle:http://www.packardclub.org/forum/download/file.php?id=1282&mode=view

Attach file:

jpg  (142.50 KB)
177_55381db83abfb.jpg 1280X1151 px

Posted on: 2015/4/22 16:57
 Top  Print 

Re: 54 Patty rear brakes
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Brian,

Take a look at my project blog, while I have a '54 Clipper which uses different sized parts, the concepts and assemble is exactly the same.

Posted on: 2015/4/23 16:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved