Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 146

CartRich, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: No One-Sixty Was Harmed - Streetrod
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
There was a similarly hacked up white LaSalle convt sedan for sale a bit ago too, similar price. I guess the logic is a valuable antique plus sorta modern but not really (news flash on that pushrod V8, rodders) "upgrades" is the worth the sum of the two costs. Put some purple flames on this POS so there is no confusion with a real Packard.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 10:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If the Hollingsworth statement were true then the parts book should indicate such by Vin number. For example, rod bearings for the 39 Eight came in two versions before and after Vin number such and such.

As it stands that statement needs to be backed up. Otherwise it's subject to a Melville style rebuttal - "So it was written and so it was!". If the 18th series 160 was the first use of that body I might buy it, but given the same parts were being used in the 17th series I don't because there is no changeover taking place. They already had the parts to be consistent.

As it stands that little blurb sounds like some of the old politics in a particular car club that I was involved with years ago. We'd get a letter from somebody like Turnquist trying to modify the definition of authenticity to serve the needs of one of his customers. In those cases we had to consider whether it was worth it to generate hostility. Later on there was a takeover and things really changed insofar as body swapping was concerned.

As far as the 120 is concerned, if you drive a good one you won't find it lacking. I would much rather have the 120 Darrin than the 180 Darrin. It is a far more balanced automobile.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 15:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
If the Hollingsworth statement were true then the parts book should indicate such by Vin number. For example, rod bearings for the 39 Eight came in two versions before and after Vin number such and such.

As it stands that statement needs to be backed up. Otherwise it's subject to a Melville style rebuttal - "So it was written and so it was!". If the 18th series 160 was the first use of that body I might buy it, but given the same parts were being used in the 17th series I don't because there is no changeover taking place. They already had the parts to be consistent.

As it stands that little blurb sounds like some of the old politics in a particular car club that I was involved with years ago. We'd get a letter from somebody like Turnquist trying to modify the definition of authenticity to serve the needs of one of his customers. In those cases we had to consider whether it was worth it to generate hostility. Later on there was a takeover and things really changed insofar as body swapping was concerned.

Did you read Roger's post that followed????

Posted on: 2015/5/21 5:20
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello West:

Somehow I think that your earlier post in this thread (#10) got past him.

So just to make things clear for everyone, Jim Hollingsworth's book is correct, i.e. that push out (friction) vent windows were correct for early 1940, model 160, convertible sedans and convertible coupes.

And for those needing confirmation I have attached a scan of the 1935-1941 Parts List book. Outlined in orange where it clearly shows that both the 160 convertible sedan (#1377) and the 160 convertible coupe (#1379) could have either friction or crank out window vents.

I think this is proof enough for all fair-minded people that early 1940 models of the senior convertibles could have friction/pushout vent windows. The only question now is when did Packard switch over from friction to crank out vents.

Joe Santana had friction vents in his car (1377-2011) and Stevep516 was looking at another 1940 160 (1377-2062) with an early engine build date of August 1939 and that car had friction vent windows too. It would be neat to contact the owners of the thirteen 1377s and sixteen 1379s and ask if they have friction or crank windows to determine the conversion point.

Meanwhile, the parts book only shows crank out windows in the senior cars for 1941 - so the "rule" still holds for them.

Attach file:

jpg  (106.36 KB)
436_555e8f0c34b86.jpg 524X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/5/21 21:06
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved