Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Identifying a 1951 convertible
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Yesterday I saw a nice 1951 convertible at our big Vintage car fair here at the Lake Konstanz in Southern Germany.
Car is from Netherlands and the VIN plate states type 200, VIN 2454nnnn.
As far as I could find out this VIN seems to be incorrect as is the type which should be a 250.
Engine seems to be the correct one, but I did not have a look for its number ...

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

I am looking for a convertible from that era, but I'd prefer a 250 over a butchered up 200 ...

Any hints to clarify what kind of car this really is?

Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2015/6/15 3:57
Ok, well for starters I'll have
Who, What, When and Where,
and then Whither, Whether, Whence and Wherefore to follow
and one big sideorder of Why.

... and the parts list please
 Top  Print   

Re: Identifying a 1951 convertible
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I rather expect that some sort of registration magic has taken place, as there is no such thing as a 2454 in the 48-54 Parts book. The car is a 2469 and looks quite correct in every detail except the missing hood letters. Perhaps nervousness during a registration check explains the discoloration of the seat.

It would be a lot of work to turn a club sedan 2495 into a convertible, much easier with a Mayfair 2467.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 5:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Thank you for your advice Ross.

Seats and interior are really nice and clean, but digital camera and artificial lights are playing tricks ...
This picture comes closer to the real condition of the interior
Resized Image

Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2015/6/15 7:36

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In addition to what has been stated, it's also worth noting that the convertible was introduced in 1951 as a 200 series vehicle and very shortly thereafter was rebranded as a 250 series. So technically an early 51 convertible could be a 200 series; the vehicle # at which the changeover from 200 to 250 is not known to me, but it would be a relatively early number relative to the total 1951 convertible production.

What is the vehicle number (on the A pillar as you open the front door)? That should resolve everything. If it's missing, give us the "theft-proof" number (large embossed number between triangle brackets on the cowl).

PS - I agree with ECA, the visual clues say 1952.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 7:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
This looks like a 1952 model. No PACKARD letters on the hood (1951 only), crest on the grille (which started with the very late 1951s), and the two wings on the Pelican are straight back (1952 only). The vehicle number should start with 2579-____.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 8:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
Yeah, their are a few things off about this car.

1. The stitching on the driver side cushion. You know the red bolster (at least) was replaced because the stitching doesn't line up. On my old Mayfair with the original cloth/leather upholstery which is hideous now, the stitching still lines up.

2.Dash: from what I understand, the 250 series in 51-52 should have the senior series dash which has coloring of (inner button to outer ring) gold green and silver with gold lettering. Also there is no trip meter.

3. The front end looks like a 1952 model but the headlight rings are from 53-54.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 11:10
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Wow!
4 Pictures and a wealth of information is coming.

I'd never have noticed the stitching ...
The head lamp rings struck me for beeing a little odd, but I thought it was due to the European head lamps installed.
Resized Image

Body panel gaps are not the very best, and here and there are some hints of a plasterer remodeling panels (didn't check with a magnet though).

VIN starts quite clearly with 2454 ... (which can't be true).
Maybe there will be some additional information from the seller to clarify this ...

Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2015/6/15 13:48

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Some news:
The seller found the original VIN. It reads 2469 ...
Trim code 696, paint code T which should be ivory. So the car was repainted in more or less the correct color.
Engine is 327 CID. (No engine code)
Top is not working on hydraulics any more, but the pump seems to be still in place.

Seems like the bonnet and grille were replaced long time ago, maybe after an accident?

Any ideas how much fully working hydraulic gears for the hood might cost? Are they still available (used)?

Keeping everything in mind the seller's proposed price seems to be rather high (but we are in Europe, Prices are quite different from US prices...)

What price would I have to expect in the US?

Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2015/6/25 17:31

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
Hydro-E-Lectric in Florida just rebuilt a hydraulic pump for me for about $450. But I had some missing parts.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 21:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I replaced the convertible top cylinders in my '54 just about a year ago. Hydro-e-lectric charged $139.00 each. The fit was excellent, bolted right in.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 22:59
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved