Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
38 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 38

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Loud mystery noise
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
This just happened very suddenly while accelating uphill in 2nd gear. Very loud gear grinding noise but was not shifting and tranny stayed in gear. Sound continued after shifting into 3dr gear. Got car into garage sounded like it was coming from valve side of engine. Ran rpm's up to 1500 or so and then soud went completely away! Idled at 1200 rpm's for 15 minutes, no problem. Drove up driveway and it happened again, put in clutch reved engine and sound went away. This is a mystery to me.
Thanks

Posted on: 2015/6/21 13:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Loud mystery noise
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I guess it to be something in your drive train.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/6/21 14:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe a silly idea but both times when you said it happened you were going uphill but then it settled down on level ground... Since you said it seemed noisy on the valve side I'd think something had happened to oil pickup when the oil all went to the end of pan on the incline and it was lifter noise.

When you made it go away the last time by depressing the clutch were you still on the hill when it went away? If so, and it was just a clutch motion then maybe not oil so how are all the springs on the clutch linkage. Anything free to move or rattle when in the relaxed state and weight has shifted. How about motor mounts?

There is not much on the valve side gearwise to rattle -- actually not much of anything over there unless something happened to one of the exhaust supports and a portion of the exhaust is setting up a vibration.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 14:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Maybe a damper spring flew out of the clutch.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 15:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Although this sound is straight forward, having hard time clearly describing. Tet me try again. The first time this happened, drove into the garage kept the engine running, the sound exactely tracked engine rpm's. Ran rpm's up and down after about 5 minutes the noise stopped. Continued to modulate throttle no more noise. To me this is behaving like a stuck lifter, but the sounds more like I missed second gear, it's that loud. This is a 1940 356 engine with hydraulic lifters not sure what a stuck lifter on this engine would sound like.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 16:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
While it is making the noise you might be able to use a stethoscope to help locate the area of the noise. I lew of a stethoscope, I've used a long piece of metal bar by holding one end to the area of interest and the other end up to my ear.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 13:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Doesn't sound like a sticking hydraulic lifter to me, though your description doesn't trigger any suspects. You might consider making an audio file of the sound and posting it here so we can listen.

Any chance the fan or water pump pulley is loose and the fan is hitting somewhere? Or a generator bearing beginning to fail? You might just remove the fan belt and evaluate.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Thank you everyone for you thoughts. Noise has not come back. So I willl just continue to dive and if it returnes will look in the areas suggested.
Thanks

Posted on: 2015/6/25 23:56
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Wascator
See User information
Bearing in the generator or water pump? Either can come and go.
Wheel bearing?

Posted on: 2015/7/17 15:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved