Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Timing Chain Too Short...Have you ever heard of this issue???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
The machinist has installed the crank, pistons, cam, and valves and then when he tried to install the timing chain he said it was too short (tight) to install it.

He was responsible for sourcing the engine rebuild kit so I do not know where he got the rebuild kit from. I do have complete faith in him as he is old school (does not have email/computer) has been doing this a very long time and he works on phone calls and trusted vendors.

So the question I have (now) is has anyone heard of this issue? Could he have gotten a kit for a different engine? The pistons and rings fit fine.

So for contingency planning on my part...if the replacement chain and sprocket set he gets is also too tight then what vendor would you recommend to get it from?

THANKS!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/6/24 11:13
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Re: Timing Chain Too Short...Have you ever heard of this issue???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Never head of that before but there is a chance he got the incorrect chain; 3 chains used 48-54. All 51-54 used one, 356 engine another, and all other 48-50 used the third. Perhaps he got the incorrect chain, I assume he knows they are a VERY snug fit new and there is a technique for installing.

Posted on: 2015/6/24 12:50
 Top  Print 

Re: Timing Chain Too Short...Have you ever heard of this issue???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Owen says>there is a chance he got the incorrect chain; 3 chains used 48-54. All 51-54 used one, 356 engine another, and all other 48-50 used the third. Perhaps he got the incorrect chain

I would not know. He got an engine rebuild kit and it had all of the parts in the kit so perhaps there was a wrong chain included with the kit.

>I assume he knows they are a VERY snug fit new and there is a technique for installing.

What is the technique for installing? I was not at the shop when he tried nor have I seen the project because I live in a different town. I ass-u-me'd that one simply places the crank at TDC and then aligns the timing marks and slides the chain and the gears on as one unit. What else different is there?

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/6/24 14:20
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved