Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 223

BigKev, HH56, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

headlight switch issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My 51 200 has had a problem with the headlights going off at night after about 20 minutes running. The usual suspect is the circuit breaker on the headlight switch. I thought that the breaker was built into the switch and would require a NOS switch. Found out that the breaker is a replaceable part, and can be easily swapped out. Disconnect the battery, then remove the dash unit so that you can reach the switch. The knob comes off when you remove a 1/16" allen set screw, and twist off the knob. The face plate comes off with a special Packard tool, or with a pair of miniature pliers inserted into the recesses on the plate. Once the knob and plate have been removed, the switch can be pulled back, and you can reach it thru the dash panel. A 30 amp circuit breaker, Belkampf 7823105 from Napa fits in nicely. The breaker says it is a 12 volt, but a circuit breaker doesn't really care about volts, only amps. I installed it so that the wire to the lights via the dash panel is on the "Bat" side, since the car is a positive ground. A fairly easy job; took all of about 10 minutes. I'll try it out later when it gets dark to make sure all is well.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 19:51
 Top  Print   

Re: headlight switch issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I took the car out for an hour drive, with the lights on, both high and low beam, and so far, all is well. Not often you can fix a problem for less than $4 and ten minutes of labor.

Posted on: 2015/6/24 20:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved