Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 82

BDeB, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 Packard Clipper
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Brad Horstmann
See User information
It appears my 288 Packard Thunderbolt will need to be rebuilt. Smarter path might be to put a similar donor engine in the vehicle. Any suggestions? Chrome and glass in this car are very nice. Body is in good shape.

Help the novice!

Posted on: 2015/7/8 12:55
 Top  Print 

Re: 1953 Packard Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Most donor engines also need rebuilding at this late date, tho a good 288 is not too tough to find.

How bad is yours? An in-chassis ring and valve job will do wonders for not too many bucks.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 14:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I fully agree with Ross. Assuming the crank journals and in good condition and the bores are not excessively tapered (beyond 0.007" +/-) you can easily do what we used to call a "semi" rebuild without removing the engine. Properly done you might expect 30,000 or more miles from such a job which for many of us could be 10-20 years of pleasurable driving. Why not do a little diagnosis and see what the needs really are before jumping into a swap?

Posted on: 2015/7/8 15:24
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Brad Horstmann
See User information
I believe the engine bearing is out and who knows what else. A mechanic I am certainly not, but need to get a Packard guy to stop over to my house and have a beer and dish some advice. As I understand it, total rebuilds are quite expensive, so I am trying to think outside the box as I really like the car. I have attached some pics so you can see. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Attach file:

jpg  (131.06 KB)
13981_559d9c72e2811.jpg 1189X800 px

jpg  (126.45 KB)
13981_559d9c93906de.jpg 1192X813 px

jpg  (145.17 KB)
13981_559d9cbb8be06.jpg 947X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/7/8 16:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Nice-looking Clipper Special, you've come to the right place for knowledgeable help and accurate advice.

If an engine bearing it out, does the oil light stay lit indicating low oil pressure?

If it's making ominous sounds, can you make a video of it running in a quiet area so those familiar can give your a better idea of what problems you're facing?

Ross is extremely familiar with this series, listen to him! Owen gives great advice as well, a partial rebuild might be all it needs.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/7/9 17:17
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Brad Horstmann
See User information
Thanks. I will do that when I get time. For now, Big Blue is back in the garage taking a little nap. Oil light was never lit (assuming not working). Temp gage always seemed to be right in middle. After initial discovery of very low oil was found and filled, the car then would not get up to speed. I could get it into 3rd but it was not going like it should. As I decided to turn around, it died, and thus had it towed to my mechanic. Once there was able to start and fuel pressure and spark tested fine, but they otherwise diagnosed main engine bearing out and an engine rebuild. Not certain how they arrived at that, but from a trustworthy place albeit not one that specializes in 53 Packard Clippers.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 20:58
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Brad Horstmann
See User information
An old car enthusiast stopped by my garage sale today and of course inquired about my 53 Packard Clipper which has been setting in my garage since last July. I explained my engine issues (mechanic suggested i need a complete engine rebuild) and so he asked me to start it up. It fired right up so we went for a ride around the block. He suggested i could put 50 weight oil in and the main bearing noise would likely go away plus could drive around town for years without hurting it. Any reaction to this?

Posted on: 2016/6/4 17:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Drive for years?
Yes.
Or no.
Time sufficient to find another engine or acquire parts?
Yes.

Posted on: 2016/6/4 18:48
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved