Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 106

Ross, 29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Items found under front seat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
This wasn't under the front seat but behind the ashtray on the front seat.

Now I can't wait to take the seat out to see if there are more treasures.

Sorry, I don't know how to add photos (scans) to the text message.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 56.75 KB; Hits: 63

Posted on: 2014/12/28 12:44
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sorry, I don't know how to add photos (scans) to the text message.

If one of your programs will convert your .pdf files to .jpg you can post that the same way you did the pdf and it will show directly in the forum. On a Mac you can export the .pdf file in Preview and select several formats to convert into but I don't know what Windows has in the way of imaging programs.

Posted on: 2014/12/28 13:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I had hoped to find the build sheet for my car, but so far nothing. Not on top of the glove box nor on the gas fill tube

Posted on: 2014/12/28 13:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't feel bad. Of the Packards I've owned I've never managed to find one either.

Posted on: 2014/12/28 13:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Probably, because on my 48- the interior has been redone , But I will keep looking

Posted on: 2014/12/28 14:09
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Only thing of interest I found in my car was the last registration slip, which helped me track down the last known registered owner to get a title release.

Everything thing else in the interior (upholstery, paper, insulation, wiring, etc) was chewed up by rats (shudder) as nesting.

When I got the car, it had no keys with it. But, when I was removing the front fender, a set of keys fell out onto the floor. Low and behold, it was the a matching set of original Packard keys for the car. Someone must have stashed them under there many moons ago as they were caked in grease and road grime.

The car was missing the trunk lock when I got it, so I found new lock, and a NOS trunk lock cylinder and filed the tumblers down to match the original key.

Posted on: 2014/12/29 13:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Of course several reasons for coinage under the seat, at least one of which was the custom of my era. When a friend first showed you his new (or used) car, you took some coins from you pocket and tossed them into the car. Do people still do this?

Back in 1989 when I bought a new but left over 1988 Ford Tempo (my second new car - the first being a 1977 VW Beetle Convertible) I took it over to a friends house to show it to them. When I had the trunk open, Michael reached into his pocket and tossed in all the change he had under the trunk mat. I was astonished and must have looked it for he explained it was for "Good Luck" (I thought maybe it was to be able to call AAA). I still have the Tempo and it only has 68,000 miles on it. And yes, the coins are still under the mat. They must have worked as I have never had any trouble with it.

Posted on: 2014/12/29 18:41
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Found this online as the source of the coins on the floor of a new car, not sure if the original purpose... but sounds good to me:

Car coining

"There is a practice in New Jersey and New York of tossing a few coins onto the floor of a newly purchased car as a sign of good luck. This practice originated as a practical one. Because of the area's many toll roads, many drivers would carry change in their cars. The friends and family of the new car owner would throw coins onto the floor of the new car so if they driver ever ran out of his own money, he could always reach down and find some extra money on the floor."

Posted on: 2014/12/30 16:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Michael was originally from the Philadelphia area so it makes sense that he'd know about that.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 19:23
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
First post but had to comment here on "treasures" found. While doing a resto on 2126 7 passenger super clipper, the shop found items under the back seat and gave them to me. The quartz arrow head I had found (then lost) when I was around 10 years old and an ID card that had me at 11 years old. This car has been in my family since 1957 and lost those items not long after my dad bought the car. I am 67 now and hope to drive it to my 50th HS reunion coming up next year.
This was the car that I drove in high school....what a ride!!

Posted on: 2015/7/19 19:07
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved