Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 88

Bob J, 37Blanche, JD in KC, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

packing wheel bearing on a 33
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Time has come to repack the wheel bearing on my 1003, The fronts are not a problem, the rears are a different deal with the double bearing. I would guess that one must check each side with a dial indicator. As I remember the later cars with single bearings are 7 to 10 thousands side to side, Does anyone know what the specks are for the double bearings? Thanks Dell

Posted on: 2015/7/21 9:11

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: packing wheel bearing on a 33
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Its been a while since i set one up but
.002 - .004 come to mind

Posted on: 2015/7/21 9:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just confirming Packardbarry, with the double opposed tapered roller bearings on each shaft you check and adjust each side independently of the other via shims located behind the inner race to 0.002" to 0.004".

Attach file:

jpg  (103.01 KB)
177_55ae5e9642199.jpg 874X1200 px

Posted on: 2015/7/21 9:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I made up a tool to regrease those rear wheel bearings on the car.

Based on information I found in petroleum engineering journals the only benefit from removal and solvent cleaning is when the existing grease has been contaminated with water or dirt. Cleaning in solvents actually creates a thin layer of rust and water vapors.

So when the bearings weren't under water or full of sand I just injected new grease. I used to do such as part of a brake inspection. It really quieted some cars down too.

Posted on: 2015/7/21 14:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Following up on Tim's posting, I guess one, doing an axle bearing service, could drill and tap the housing in the area between the bearings and install a grease fitting. I think it would take very little new grease to provide the proper amount of lubricant and over filling would be the problem.

I seem to recall some cars had plugs in their axle housings that would be removed to install a fitting and then grease could be added to the rear wheel bearings. Getting dirt into the bearings doing this job would be a concern too. Of course the question is how often would a rear axle bearing repacking be necessary, every 10,000 miles or 50 years, or whichever occurs first?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/7/21 17:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard offered a special tool to grease the rear wheel bearings without disassembly; it's pictured in both the Service Letters and the tool catalog - and probably easy to make if you don't have one.

Posted on: 2015/7/21 17:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Thanks all for the help, one reason this was is being done is the fact that the car has sat for thirty five year and from the look of the grease in the traps (which had to be doug out with a metal tool) I think the last time the rear was serviced was during world war II. New seals and new grease, almost good as new.

Posted on: 2015/7/21 21:06

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Rear wheel bearings and seals are perhaps the most ignored of the routine maintenance needs. As I only drive the 34 about 800 or so miles a year I do the job on a time basis rather than mileage, every 10-15 years or so and the last time I replaced the seals which appeared to be originals. A tad of a chore getting the inner seal removed. If you have insufficient end play (a rare situation), rather than removing the inner bearing cup to remove a shim, you could alternatively make and add a shim behind the backing plate.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Thanks O-D; I am waiting for the seals to arrive, then back to work. Dell

Posted on: 2015/7/22 18:46

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't remember the #s but both the inner and outer seals were stock parts at NAPA.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 19:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved