Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 119

Ozstatman, Larry Reber, Todd W. White, Packard Lover, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Lifter and Valve! Lash
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
When rebuilding an engine and adjusting the valve lash, what is the proper spacing and additionally does one have to readjust the lash after the engine has started? I have heard in the past that if you set the cold / to a certain setting then when the engine heats up and the predictable we're in that one does not have to readjust the valves. I am asking because the engine is about to leave the machinist and I want to make sure that we have those adjusted correctly.

Any ASAP help would be most appreciated!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/7/23 16:57
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Lifter and Valve! Lash
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For those 1948 Packards with solid lifters Packard's specifications call for adjusting the lifters with the engine hot; 0.007" for intake and 0.010" for exhaust. With a fresh rebuild you'll want to give them an approximate adjustment and then do the final adjustment hot after the engine is installed and running. For a cold adjustment, adding about 0.003" to the hot clearances should be adequate.

Posted on: 2015/7/23 19:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Owen thanks for the quick reply.

So if I understand this correctly, we should adjust the valve/solid lifter adjustment (cold/engine not yet started) to .010 for the intake valve and .013 for the exhaust valve???

It sure seems like it would be difficult to adjust the valves with the engine hot because the valve/lifter covers are below the intake and exhaust manifolds. Can this adjustment be done from under the car or does one need to lean over the passenger side fender to get to it?

Posted on: 2015/7/23 19:37
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Per the service manual- jack up and remove the right front tire, remove the inner fender, valve cover, and adjust.

Posted on: 2015/7/23 21:09
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Thanks so much

Posted on: 2015/7/23 21:12
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Yes, as Ken says - adjust the valves from below. Very difficult to adjust the valves with the engine running as per the manual. I would warm up the engine, adjust one cylinder, run it again to restore temperature and adjust the next cylinder, repeat until done. This will give you the warm engine for the proper settings and it will be much easier without the engine running. The middle cylinders are difficult to adjust even with a non-running engine. I prefer a go-no go gauge for setting the valves.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/7/23 21:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved