Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 149

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 clipper generator
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
Well i finally got all the wiring in the car redone and everything is working as should except the generator i think. I'm only getting around 6.50 volts out of it nothing more and i had it rebuilt did the check on it grounding the field and making it turn over by itself was told its good then and regulator is new as well. And also wondering what length and gauge ground strap it should have for the battery it has a really long after market one in it now thanks

Posted on: 2015/7/23 20:27
 Top  Print 

Re: 53 clipper generator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You should use 0 or 00 ga on the 6v cables and on a 53 ground side is probably around 18-20" long -- from the battery post to the bolt on the block near the water pump or generator bracket. A too small of cable would cause poor or slow starting but doubt excess length is causing your poor charging. If the size is large enough a considerable length can be tolerated.

I am confused when you say you grounded the field and made it turn over by itself. With the engine running and generator hooked up, grounding the field should cause the generator to put out well over the battery voltage -- as high as 8v or maybe more. Enough higher that you don't want to leave it in that condition any longer than it takes to verify the voltage. Even if engine is not running grounding the field by itself should not cause the generator to "motor". If you are not seeing that increased voltage with the field grounded something is wrong with the generator or the ground. I would verify exactly what is being grounded and what happens. Make sure the field wire is continuous to the regulator with a good connection at both ends.

There is a separate 16 ga ground wire between a case screw on the generator body to a ground screw or a mounting screw on the regulator. The wire is in two or three sections -- generator case to a bolt on the block or if only two sections, directly from the generator to one of the L fender headlight terminal strip mounting screws and then from the mounting screw to the regulator ground screw or mounting screw depending on regulator. That needs to be there to make sure the generator and regulator see exactly the same ground potential and nothing is lost going thru sheetmetal etc. Make sure all those connections are in good condition.

Posted on: 2015/7/23 21:11
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 53 clipper generator
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
Yes i made it"motor" i unhooked the belt and left engine off

Posted on: 2015/7/24 10:10
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved