Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 137

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'49 gas tank sender unit question.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
Hi, Does anyone have any tips for working on a fuel sender unit for this year? I'm working on cleaning out the gas tank and I pulled the sender unit,and it looks to be in great shape overall. I am getting a resistance reading on my meter but it bounces around quite a bit when I move the float up and down. I don't know what the correct resistance range is for a working unit and I'm not sure how I should proceed, so any info would be a big help. Thanks!!

Posted on: 2015/7/24 21:16
 Top  Print   

Re: '49 gas tank sender unit question.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
48-50 senders are not straight resistance units so it is hard to measure with an ohmmeter. It has a heater which opens and closes a bimetal strip. The rate of the opening and closing is controlled or changed by the amount of pressure the float produces on the strip as it changes with fuel level. The length and frequency of the on time works another heater and bimetal strip in the gauge to move the needle.

Here is a couple of illustrations from an old Motors Manual with the general idea of how it works.

Attach file:

jpg  (142.34 KB)
209_55b2f68e9c0a0.jpg 1157X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/7/24 21:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One way you can test your sender would be to use a couple of jumper wires. One to ground and the other to the gauge wire. Turn the key on and move the float up and down. See if the gauge works and tracks smoothly or if there are any dead spots. If the sender looks to be in decent shape then it should work since there is no resistance unit to corrode or warp. If there seems to be problems then that type sender should go to a company which has the tools and knowhow to work on them. AFAIK, NOS are all but gone. Rebuilt exchange units are available but expensive.

One poster on the PAC forum had a seriously rusted and non rebuildable unit so did some experimenting. He found a universal 0 ohm full and 30 ohm empty sender would work electrically but to mount the universal sender needed an adapter and then a bit of rework on the adapter to fit the tank.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 22:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Wolf can rebuild them-advertises in Hemmings

Posted on: 2015/7/25 15:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved