Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

LSX_Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1950 3speed OD reliabilty ?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jtm50
See User information
Hello, I'm new to this site and Packards so please forgive my ignorance. I just acquired a 1950 deluxe sedan. The car is pretty solid and complete except for the engine. It has the 3 speed with overdrive that I like. The man I purchased it off of said he bought it without the engine and was planning on putting an inline chevy 6 in it. The car came with an old offenhauser trans adapter plate to mount a chevy bellhousing to a packard trans. I like the three on the tree but that leads to my questions. Will the Packard transmission and overdrive hold up? I want to be able to drive this car across the country and not have to worry about it or should I put in a modern transmission and be done. I am on a budget but I want my family and I to have fun with this car being able to go places. Please don't beat me up to bad I know it's blasphemy but any info on the transmission subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, Jim

Posted on: 2015/8/17 20:39
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 3speed OD reliabilty ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IMO, your transmission setup will be quite reliable as long as it is in decent shape and hasn't been too neglected in the past.

Packard standard transmissions were quite robust and the OD should be a Borg-Warner R11 which was a well proven unit and used by many other mfgs besides Packard. The biggest issue with standard trans on the pre 51 Packards was the shift linkage. It is long heavy rods and lots of connections and wasn't designed for fast, sloppy or your typical speed shifting. Needs a bit of care and precision when changing gears to avoid issues with the linkage.

I'm not sure I would put a 6 cyl Chevy engine in as that sounds like quite an expense making it fit. Also sounds like a fairly small engine for a heavy car. Out of curiosity how does it compare to Packards 135 or 150 brake HP and 230 and 270 ft/lb on the Deluxe 288/327 engines.

I think I would find a proper Packard engine instead. The 288/327 family of engines has a very good reputation. It came in a 5 main version used in most models or a 9 main 327 version on 51-53 senior cars. The 9 main 327 was enlarged to 359 for 54 seniors but other than the bore and stroke, mechanically the engines were basically unchanged from the 1948 22nd series introduction until replaced by the V8 which was introduced in 55. Lots of cars and lots of miles with those engines.

Posted on: 2015/8/17 21:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jim(Jtm50),
to PackardInfo.

If you're using the Chevy 6 that shouldn't worry a Packard manual trans. I used a Packard trans in my dragster with Ford 289 V8 power about 45 years ago, although only running second and top gears, without any drama. Didn't need an OD for that! And that's the reason why there are adaptors for Packard trans, they are strong!

And I invite you to include your '50 Deluxe Sedan, whether Packard powered or otherwise, in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.45 KB)
226_55d29ccba84b7.jpg 719X480 px

Posted on: 2015/8/17 21:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Jtm50

Welcome! You've found the most helpful and knowledgeable group of Packard guys who stand ready to answer your every question and encourage you in your effort to return your '50 Eight to the road.

As far as sourcing an engine, fortunately your '50 is of the '48-'50 22nd-23rd Series production run, some of Packard's highest production years. Further, the 288/327/359 engine series was in production 1948-1954, so finding parts cars is still easy. You may wish check Craiglists posting in your region, either for a complete parts car or an engine that has been removed already. Troy T has a 288 engine at Michiana Packard which might be just the ticket.

Although another make engine will do the job, the effort to re-install another Packard straight eight will be worth your effort. Not only as you drive it but also when sale time comes again, will you be glad you did so.

Good luck with your Packard project, perhaps start a project blog to post your request for help and share your progress. We'd all like to read about it.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/8/18 17:37
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Here is a complete chassis with RUNNING ENGINE for sale
30 miles west of Nashville Tn. $1200. U can HEAR IT RUN before u buy it.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/5172396525.html

Posted on: 2015/8/19 7:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
There was a 288 car in a boneyard by me last I checked. These are easy to find engines (by Packard standards)

Posted on: 2015/8/19 8:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
If it were me, I'd be headed for Nashville.
Anybody disagree?

Posted on: 2015/8/19 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I've got a 1950 327 5 main sitting in my barn- engine turns and got it to pop a few times on ether. Complete oil pan to air cleaner even has the OD bell housing. $600

Posted on: 2015/8/19 9:36
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jtm50
See User information
I appreciate all the info, but I want to be able to drive across the country and not have to worry about finding parts if I break down. I figured that chevy or ford parts are a little easier to acquire when your on the side of the road with your wife and kids. I have no problem with any fab work it's well with in my realm.

Posted on: 2015/8/20 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I wouldn't run the chevy 6 unless it is a hi performance built 6.

The adapter u indicated above is for a chev 6 WHICH MEANS the Chev V8 should also fit. Unlike ford and mopar the chev v8 and 6 were interchangaeable for many decades. Have to watch starter mounting due to a change in V8starter mounting ca 1965 or 1968.

But the chev v8 should fit the adapter u have now. Just need to do some detail research onthings like the starter.

As faar as i know any of the chev v8's and 6's are same bellhousing patteren from 55 up thru early 90's and probably later than that.

The SBC Chevy v8. The 8th wonder of the world. All others only argue with success.

Posted on: 2015/8/20 19:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved