Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 141

Packard Don, Dads 56, Ted Kitzmiller, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil Cooler on 1938 Super 8
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
Hi All --- First post with a new car, 1938 1603 Sedan. I bought the car with a blown headgasket and am in the process of replacing that. So far the block does not appear to be cracked.

I've heard that the oil coolers were a problem, but I've also heard that this applies mostly to the 1934 models. By 1938 they were pretty robust. Do you guys agree?

The previous owner of my car found coolant in the oil when he changed it prior to my ownership. I figure that was probably due to the bad head gasket, but it makes me wonder about the oil cooler.

Should I by-pass the cooler as a matter of course? Is it necessary? Because they run in series, a friend with a 1934 bypassed the oil filter and the cooler by blocking off their ports at the engine base. I could do that, I suppose. Would there be any harm in doing that? Aside from not having an oil filter?

Thanks ---
Scott

Posted on: 2015/8/27 14:45
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil Cooler on 1938 Super 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
You can pressure test it by making up a plate and using a simple blow gun and a regulated air supply. Submerge the unit in a bucket of water. Do not exceed 60 psi, although the thing will probably handle up to 100 psi. A good machine shop could do this if you don't have a compressor.

Another test would be to just bypass the thing and see if coolant shows up in the oil.

If the motor is worn and using non-detergent oil, water will collect in the bottom of the oil pan from condensation. If the motor is using detergent oil it should be emulsified (turned into gunk) if coolant is leaking.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 15:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Except for 1934 as noted, the oil cooler cores are very robust and almost never cause problems. If it does, you can make a shunt within the housing to continue the flow, but you can't just block it off or you will starve the engine for lubrication.

Since you have a non-pressure cooling system, if it does fail, you may find a hint of coolant in the oil, what you will find is A LOT of oil in the coolant as the oil pressures are of course higher than the coolant pressure (which is essentially zero).

Posted on: 2015/8/27 15:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day scott12180,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '38 1603 Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 20:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved