Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Spring bushing replacer tool
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
Does anyone have one of these tool? Packard tool number S.T.161. I need to replace the frame spring bushings. I have new bushings and pins but no tool to remove the old ones. Even a drawing so I can get one made.

Any ideas?

Posted on: 2014/12/24 11:16
 Top  Print 

Re: Spring bushing replacer tool
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
I don't have the specific tool you're looking for, but it's easy to make your own out of threaded rod and a few spacers sized to pilot on the bushing for press out and press in.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/springbushing-removal-tool_topic24323.html

http://www.homemadetools.net/leaf-spring-bushing-removal-tool

Posted on: 2014/12/24 12:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hello,

I am facing the same dilemma. I just purchased a pristine set of pins and bushings for my 1929 Seven Passenger Sedan from Bruce Blevins. By the way, I highly recommend Bruce's work. He claims to have a set of factory blueprints from which he makes his replacements and my untrained eye would believe him. His pins appear identical to the originals in every way.

I recall seeing the device you refer to, perhaps in the Parts catalog, and the drawing appears to be nothing more than a glorified C-clamp. I have only extracted one of my existing bushings, but the threaded rod and closely ground heavy washer strategy removed it with minor effort. I notice I deformed the edge of the bushing a little in removing it. Gentle heating may expand the metal a little, so I will probably experiment with that when I muster the courage to install the new bushings. I will also consult my trusted machinist about possibly grinding a precision brass adaptor to place against the new bushings before seating them. One friend, who is also a machinist stated the trick in reinserting bushings is to get them started straight, and as always, patience.

Anyone brave enough to answer this related question would be much appreciated...I intend to have my frame powder coated...should I press in the new bushings before or after the powder coating.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 12:16
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am sure harbor freight probably has something that will work and cheap also!

Posted on: 2014/12/30 13:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (52.11 KB)
1584_54a2ec4c869a7.jpg 1200X789 px

Posted on: 2014/12/30 13:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (40.96 KB)
1584_54a2f27c2d0f8.jpg 1024X356 px

Posted on: 2014/12/30 13:44
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Search the interwebs for a "control arm bushing tool", or your local autozone/napa may have a rental/loaner available.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 13:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
There was nothing commercial existing that had the span for two bushings or the right diameters for push parts. I took my measuring tool and drew up rough drawings and had a local machinist make me a tool. I have attached the drawing and photos of the tool in operation replacing my front spring frame bushings. The tool cost me $120. Also from Bruce Blevins, place the new bushings in the freezer overnight and remove them just when you go to push them in. I also could not push out the old bushings when I first tried. I took a jig saw blade and cut the side out of the old bushing taking care not to cut into the frame fitting. This allowed the old bushing to loose its friction with the frame fitting and everything slid into place. Note it takes a good deal of effort to turn the wrenches but the new bushings eventually were pushed into place. I did note that after installing the new bushings the new bolts would not go in smoothly. I took a rotary sandpaper tool and a drill driver to remove some bushing material until the bolt inserted smoothly. I will also have to reem out the shackle fitting holes too. Seems the new replacement bolts are just a hair too big.
Two down now and the two rear ones to go. (new bushings were installed in the springs when they were overhauled so I will not need to replace those too.)

Attach file:

jpg  (67.88 KB)
4951_54c82fb5c7435.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (76.42 KB)
4951_54c82fd44dc38.jpg 1280X751 px

jpg  (52.74 KB)
4951_54c82feca4c7b.jpg 984X671 px

jpg  (62.50 KB)
4951_54c82ffb712f6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (63.58 KB)
4951_54c8300780e52.jpg 640X480 px
pdf Size: 43.36 KB; Hits: 160

Posted on: 2015/1/27 19:44
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

homemadetools
See User information
Quote:

32model901 wrote:
I don't have the specific tool you're looking for, but it's easy to make your own out of threaded rod and a few spacers sized to pilot on the bushing for press out and press in.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/springbushing-removal-tool_topic24323.html

http://www.homemadetools.net/leaf-spring-bushing-removal-tool

Jon here from HomemadeTools.net.

I know this thread is an old one, but thanks for the mention :)

To celebrate our 20,000th homemade tool, we made a new ebook featuring our top 50 homemade tools. You guys are welcome to it for free:

http://download.homemadetools.net/50MustReadTools.pdf

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/8/28 19:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jon of homemadetools,
to PackardInfo and for the link to the free download of your new ebook featuring your top 50 homemade tools.

Posted on: 2015/8/28 19:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved