Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

R9 Lockup and Reverse
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
I think I experienced an overdrive lockup recently. Since then, forward gears seem to work fine, but I have no reverse gear. I can shift into reverse gear, but when I let out the clutch, nothing happens. I tried locking out the OD, but still no reverse. I believe the OD is working in forward gears.
Suggestions on where to start the troubleshooting process?
Thanks guys,
Mark

Posted on: 2015/9/2 0:24
 Top  Print 

Re: R9 Lockup and Reverse
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure if it will help but there are a few causes and troubleshooting suggestions in the reverse lockup article in this Service Counselor.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL21NO15.pdf

Posted on: 2015/9/2 8:58
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks Howard.

Went under last night and noted that the lockout cable not installed correctly.

About the lock out lever itself. I removed the cable from the lever and the lever rotates from straight down all the way to horizontal - about 90 degrees. It moves very smoothly - too smoothly? Perhaps memory is failing, but before assembly it seemed as though the lever would move about half that much. Does this seem right?

Thanks,
Mark

Posted on: 2015/9/4 12:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
By memory from my old R9 equipped Custom 8 - the lever moved from one extreme to the other without any noticeable feeling of engaging or disengaging anything internally, just smooth from one extreme to the other.

Also the lever moved quite a bit more than just 90?; in fact its range from one extreme to the other was greater than the lockout cable was capable of so it was necessary to find the middle "sweet spot" for adjustment.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 12:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree with O_D. Not much resistance on the lever. IIRC, when adjusted properly knob out and lockout position the lever is at approx 5:00 -- maybe a little less -- and is very close to the levers forward stop. Full in on the knob or OD position is around 7 to 8:00 but the lever will go farther. -- maybe full horizontal.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 12:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I had a similar problem, found I had first but no reverse. Went under the car and push on the arm connecting to O/D cable. It didn't move much but after that I was able to use reverse again.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/9/9 18:15
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved