Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How To Add Power Steering To a 1949 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Here are the pictures of the Power Steering system I added to my dad's 1949 Series 22.

The actuator is a Monroe actuator from a 1955 Packard.

I had to use the 1955 Packard Pitman arm because it has a curve in it to allow the two PS hoses to be installed in the actuator without conflict.

I also had to use two drivers side steering tubes (the parts that connect the actuator to the tie rod ends) because the passenger side tube needed a little bit of a curve in the tube so that it did not conflict with the actuator bracket I fabricated).

I had to fabricate a passenger side actuator to frame anchor bracket. My first attempt was to use a 1955 OEM bracket however the chassis are different and the OEM part had a curve in it so that it when installed it to the Series 22 chassis it did not match the rubber grommets that the actuator uses to attach to the anchor.

Naturally hydraulic hoses had to me custom made for this application.

A 1952 Chrysler PS pump is a cleaver contraption because it is a generator with a PS pump mounted to the back of the same shaft. I thought this would be an elegant solution because I could install it in lieu of the existing generator (had to fabricate a heavy duty bracket for it). All I needed to do was to use a pulley that matches the Packard V belt thickness pulley and a slightly longer belt.

The remote oil filter still worked and all I needed to do was to install it a bit higher in its bracket and bend the steel oil lines slightly to make it work.

The Chrysler pump when installed was in conflict with the OEM battery (the long and skinny 6V battery) so I had to redo the OEM battery box to accommodate a 6V "Type 4" which is not as long as the OEM battery but much wider (from a golf cart) battery. This ended up actually being a good thing because the Type 4 battery has about 150 more cold cranking amps than the OEM battery.

The Chrysler pump used in the same system with the Monroe actuator in hind sight was a bad choice because the output (pressure and flow) of the Chrysler pump is a perfect match for the Bendix actuator (both are 650 PSI and 1.5 GPM) however the Monroe actuator apparently needs more pressure and flow (1000 PSI and 1.9 GPM). Those who also visit the V8 pages of this forum will know of all of my trials and tribulations trying to figure this out. The Monroe seemed to be a better choice at first because it has much less external rubber hoses and valves but either I should have gone with the Bendix or else used a separate PS pump but then it would have been a huge hassle dealing with different brackets and belts.

Since the Chrysler pump is a lower output design as compared to the needs of the Monroe actuator, the PS system makes an annoying humming sound at very low speed turns such as in parking when you really need the power assist. Cant hear it from outside the car but inside it is annoying. I told my dad to turn up the radio to fix it. He is REALLY happy to have PS...noisy or not.

I did modify the Chrysler pump to put out more PSI (now puts out 1000 PSI) by adding shims ( 3 washers) to the pressure relief spring however now I need to figure out how to shim up the flow control valve to increase the GPM output.

Anyhoo...as my Hot Rodding mentor says "Well...that's hot roddin"

Bill

Attach file:

jpg  (19.51 KB)
84982_5601affa21b23.jpg 448X252 px

jpg  (22.17 KB)
84982_5601b00cb3b42.jpg 448X252 px

jpg  (23.42 KB)
84982_5601b0524c0a4.jpg 448X252 px

jpg  (18.46 KB)
84982_5601b06fe5c6a.jpg 448X252 px

jpg  (16.43 KB)
84982_5601b08e5c506.jpg 448X252 px

jpg  (24.38 KB)
84982_5601b0ab90d76.jpg 448X252 px

jpg  (21.88 KB)
84982_5601b0c233806.jpg 448X252 px

jpg  (13.05 KB)
84982_5601b5028b9d2.jpg 448X252 px

Posted on: 2015/9/22 15:02
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Re: How To Add Power Steering To a 1949 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I just remembered one other thing that on Packard systems there was a restriction in the pressure hose that had something to do with noise. It was used on all V8 systems and I think earlier too.

I vaguely remember a bulletin or article mentioning it was there and what it was for but can't find the bulletin or remember the details as to what it did exactly. Don't believe there was a mention of any specs on the restriction size given.

Maybe Ross or one of the more knowledgeable guys can fill in the blanks.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.79 KB)
209_5601b99ec3d65.jpg 428X379 px

Posted on: 2015/9/22 15:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: How To Add Power Steering To a 1949 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Good info!!!

The Chrysler brochure talks about using a pressure hose that is constructed by connecting two different diameter hoses end to end (larger diameter at first and then the smaller diameter right before it connects to the actuator) and this acts as an "oil cushion to absorb the pulsations of the pump". A bunch of Foooey!!!

My first hose was a strait hose of the same diameter and then after hearing the annoying noise and after much research reading the Chrysler literature I spent another 60 dollars and made up a hose with two diameters complete with the aforementioned "oil cushion" however the noise was not "cushioned" much. When I use lots of bad words when driving the car I cannot hear the noise so perhaps that will be my strategy.

; )

Posted on: 2015/9/22 15:39
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved