Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Upper steering column bearing
Just popping in
Just popping in

Rio
See User information
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement upper column bearing (the one just under the steering wheel) for a '40 120? Or maybe a compatible part (or part#) that will fit? I've checked Kanter and a few others and nobody seems to have one.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 11:33
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Upper steering column bearing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not familiar with it, does the bearing have a number on it? If so just go to a bearing supply house.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 11:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check with Max Merritt. I believe the item you need is the one under group 15.3295 and Max lists several of the different versions including the 1940 number available. If you can remove yours or find any number to take and match at a bearing supply house it will most likely be cheaper.

The 50,500 does not appear in my version of the 35-41 utility index but if someone has that number in theirs it might give some specific dimensions.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.73 KB)
209_5605856a82965.jpg 453X482 px

jpg  (15.88 KB)
209_560586d05172e.jpg 384X140 px

Posted on: 2015/9/25 12:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rio
See User information
Thanks for the pic. I tried Max as well, he didn't have it. Unfortunately, the bearing has no number on it, so I'm stabbing in the dark now...

Posted on: 2015/9/25 13:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Perhaps Lares (the gear box rebuilders) might have one.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 13:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Rio wrote:
Thanks for the pic. I tried Max as well, he didn't have it. Unfortunately, the bearing has no number on it, so I'm stabbing in the dark now...

That is annoying. He really needs to update his website since he has the 323778 showing as available.

I wonder if one of the other years -- say the 41-and later version would work. I believe the 40 steering wheels will go on the later shafts so perhaps it is a minor detail change and the later version bearing would fit -- or could be made to with a bit of work. I can't get a precise OD measurement but it appears the 41 on version is approx 1 1/2" outer and the shaft is 7/8 which is smaller than the ID but that extra slack is taken up by the concave ring that slides down the shaft centering it into the bearing.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.63 KB)
209_560590742ae93.jpg 1148X233 px

Posted on: 2015/9/25 13:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Hmmm.....Why not look in the bottom of The Flackmasters treasure chest of NOS Packard unobtainium. I must have a couple of these...(yeah, you know I do...)
I'll pull one out tonite and photo to confirm. and no, a bearing house will not have these, they are a concocted roller bearing with tolerances only suitable for a oxcart... PM me your mailing address. Ransom will be a donation to Packardinfo website.

DAF

Update: Bearing as pictured on the right. There is also a special machined washer designated for a '40 323775, I gots that too....you needs?

Attach file:

jpg  (16.17 KB)
439_5605d36b55102.jpg 360X270 px

Posted on: 2015/9/25 13:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The bearing can also be homemade using two nylon washers and balls from a standard hardware catalogue or junkbay.

However, just buying one seems an easier solution.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 19:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Rio,
to PackardInfo and I invite you to include your '40 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 19:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rio
See User information
Flackmaster, you just might be my hero. I'll have to double check on Monday when I can get back to the car, but the info I have on hand is the shaft o.d. is 7/8" (and if I remember correctly has 40 splines?), the o.d. of the bearing should be about 1 1/2", and the depth of the bearing seat in the shift bowl is about 1 1/16". The shift bowl and column sleeve are both round, with the shift lever hole at 12 o'clock and a "dent" at the top of the sleeve behind the bowl in the 2 o'clock position for shift lever clearance. (I have a second column that isn't round, and that bearing is definitely different). The bowl has 330939 cast into the bottom inside it. Not sure if I need the washer too, I'll have to look in the box of parts to see. Thank you :)

Posted on: 2015/9/25 20:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved