Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
35 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 35

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front Wheel Bearing seals
Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
I'm new to this .I'm looking for new part # for wheel bearing seals for my 1953 Patrician. It has National seals in it #5975 . This # is no good.I'm looking at a C/R 17617
and would like to know if it will work or a good #

Thank You

Posted on: 2010/4/15 15:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Front Wheel Bearing seals
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This is in parts x-ref but don't know if anyone has tried them or how it compares to C/R # (double click on thumb image to make it readable).

Attach file:

jpg  (8.28 KB)
209_4bc77b2cd4810.jpg 1280X81 px

Posted on: 2010/4/15 15:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
SHAFT-- BORE-- WIDTH
NATIONAL 5975 1.75 2.724 .437

NAPA 17145 1.734 2.73 .512
THIS IS C/R

C/R 17617 1.75 2.718 .359

My question is the original #5975 is .437 width. Is it better to be small with the .359 or bigger with the .512
And will the bigger one hit the back plate? What one is better? need a few feed backs.

Thank You

Posted on: 2010/4/15 19:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Cli55er had to use a thicker than original seal on his 55 Clipper. Since seal presses in and is flush with the wheel hub in back, should be no problem with backing plate. Just has to clear the bearing & race. He reported there was enough room between the seal front and his bearing and if yours is same, then should be no problem with the depth. Will the slight difference in shaft & bore size be too tight on the shaft or loose enough in bore to be an issue? Cli55er reported his replacement was just a slight bit tighter on the shaft but if enough lube is able to get under lip so it doesn't dry, wouldn't think that would be a problem.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 19:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you considered just measuring the available depth within the hub to see if it will accomodate the wider seal without protruding? If so, I don't think it matters.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 19:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
The seal I found was perfect. I need to add it to the x-reference as I forgot to.... Oops. I can't remember the seal number right now but it is a timken from autozone for 6 bucks. Way cheaper and the seal design is better IMHO. Do a search for my thread and I will edit with link in the morning.

edit: here is the link.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4562&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Posted on: 2010/4/15 23:42
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not entirely off-topic, but I wanted to replace the front wheel bearing dust seals on my 34 Packard (same for Eights and Super Eights 33-36 and perhaps others). These are reversed from the typical seals of later years in that the seal has a hardened steel pressed-in insert/spacer on the inside which "locks" onto the spindle, and the wiping surface is on the outer perimeter of the seal, 1/4 inch wide felt, which seals against a machined surface inside the hub. You don't necessarily have to replace the entire seal, you can take one of the two metal sideplates of and just replace the felt.

I've had nothing short of outstanding service from George Bachleda of OlCar Bearing Co. in Southern Pines, NC over the years, and ditto on this occasion, I recommend him most highly for roller, tapered roller, and ball bearings and seals for older vehicles. (910)-693-3324.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.78 KB)
177_4bc8819be2fb8.jpg 576X432 px

Posted on: 2010/4/16 10:27
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dwight Heinmuller
See User information
Use NAPA 17145, and grind about a 1/4" off lip. This will
work fine, and it has a Neoprene seal.

Posted on: 2015/9/27 11:20
Dwight
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved