Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 133

William Grosz, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Sources for EE23 Carb bowls
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello All, We, in Australia, are fortunate to have Amelia Earhart's 35 Super Eight Coupe. It was not collected by Amelia as she failed to return from her ( don't have the details off the top of my head) attempted flight across the Pacific. The Vehicle was mentioned and photos posted on Wade's Workshop. As Technical Officer of the Packard Club in Australia, my assistance has been sought.
Ross Marshall is taking the coupe from Queensland to Victoria for an "invitation " event and is seeking a replacement "non porous" carburettor bowl for his EE23. It is same for Standard/Super Eight. Any leads on a serviceable,NOS,replacement item, or possible epoxy/procedure to seal his current bowl?
Best to all....Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 2:16
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Re: Sources for EE23 Carb bowls
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Peter,

Have you liaised with Flackmaster? I expect he would currently be at Hershey and, if so, could be well suited to secure one if available.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 3:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Peter, I question if you're correct when you say Eight/Super Eight the same. As I recall the center fuel bowl casting of the EE-23 incorporates the venturis which are not the same for the Eight and the Super 8; 1-3/32 versus 1-3/16. Good, serviceable EE-22 and EE-23 carburetors are always sought after, very expensive and not easy to find, best of luck.

You might ask some of the better carburetor rebuilders like The Carb Doctor and Daytona Parts if they can recommend a sealant, I've never heard of one that proved satisfactory but they would certainly know more about that. Perhaps some form of electroplating or metallization might do the job? But once the diecast gets porous you have to worry about mechanical strength.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 7:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello Dave, Thanks for the input. Yes, the venturis are different, however my Service list for the main bowl P-20292 and air horn P-29465 appears to be the same for 1200 through 1205. I am unable to find a listing for the venturis. I shall keep looking. PT

Posted on: 2015/10/8 16:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello Dave, Yes, the venturis appear to be a part of the main bowl casting. It appears odd that the Part Number P-20292 is listed for the 1200 to 1205. Same for the EE22 where the main bowl P-17932 is listed for the 1100 to 1105. It must be incorrect. PT

Posted on: 2015/10/8 20:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My Stromberg downdraft parts list shows the same as yours. I'll take a look at my spare EE-22 tomorrow and see if it offers any clues.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 22:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I would suggest that the answer is at the start of the Service Parts Listing for Motor Carburetor. Packard lists a different carburetor assembly with a Packard Part Number for the 12th/14th Series Eight( 216791), to the 12th/14th Series Super Eight (216790). I would further suggest that Packard in theory, did NOT overhaul the carburetors directly and sent them to a Stromberg recommended facility, which would then carry the warranty.
The Listing of the Bendix Stromberg Part Numbers for the EE22 and EE23 is for information only and not an exhaustive Listing, and not something which Packard has control of. The listings therefore are not absolute and for guidance only. The top of each listing states that "Dealers should order these parts through their Distributor" ( possibly useful for remote locations where Packard Dealers HAD to repair rather than send for overhaul).
Flackmaster has advised me that he has the scent of some suitable items at Hershey. I would really enjoy another energising "Packard Hunting Expedition" with the Flackmaster at Hershey and chilling with some packardinfo.com guys in the Packard Hospitality Tent. Best Regards, Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 1:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Flackmaster has advised me that he has the scent of some suitable items at Hershey"

Although it's well known that the Flackmaster CAN smell Packard parts. I didn't know it was so discerning that he can locate specific parts!

Posted on: 2015/10/9 2:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I don't know for sure, but zinc plating for the home enthusiast is fairly easy and does not take much of an investment.

A 6 volt battery charge for a power source. There are recipes for the solution and process on-line along with lots of information. I have a kit from Eastwood's that I have used with success. I need to add that in order to get a real shinny zinc finish is difficult, but can be achieved at home.

Posted on: 2015/10/10 9:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved