Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 overdrive cable assembly
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I removed the overdrive switch assembly on my 48. Need to reattach it under the dash. I have the two correct bolts and nuts, but I cant figure out how to get the nuts on the bolts from the top(under dash ) any help ? I'm talking about the overdrive lockout cable -

Posted on: 2015/11/15 17:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 overdrive cable assembly
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Are your screws not long enough? It's pretty straight forward. This is my 1940, and the switch just attaches to the lip on the bottom of the dash. The two nuts attach on the top side.

Attach file:

jpg  (117.42 KB)
404_5649f2dd1df85.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/11/16 10:14
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thank you West Peterson. Yes, I know that the two nuts attach to the two bolts. The problem is - on my 48 it is very hard to reach the top of the bolts to screw on the nuts. I cant get my hand in there, because of lack of space,wires in the way, etc. Have tried standing on my head, but that's not good -

Posted on: 2015/11/16 11:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know exactly what you have to work with on a 48 because on the 47 there is plenty of room. On some cases where my fingers are too large for a space I frequently tape the nuts onto a wrench and slide that in the narrow space.

If you want to try that method, make sure the nut and wrench have no grease on them so the tape sticks and use something with an aggressive adhesive such as gorilla tape. Place the tape on the top of the nut and wrench only. If needed you can angle the nut in the wrench slightly for a better position over the screw. Once the threads catch do what is needed to remove the nut from the tape and wrench before tightening all the way.

If you have some larger forceps sometimes those can be used to hold the nut but most tool box type forceps are a bit too small and will break if you try to clamp them over that large a nut.

Either method can take a bit of finesse and effort -- sometimes even strong language -- to get the nut perfectly lined up over the hole and held straight so the screw is not cross threaded but it usually can be done.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 11:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Also on the 48, , there is a about a 1/2 inch lip that you must go over and down to place the nut in the right spot. Too bad Packard didn't just use the same type attaching bolts as the heater, vent,knob assembly. which screw in from the bottom ( no nut on top ).

Posted on: 2015/11/16 12:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Another question - My 48 had only one original bolt holding the overdrive cable to the dash it is a SLOTTED Fillister head (1/4 x 28x7/8) - I bought two from a forum member - They are PHILIPS Fillister head ( 1/4x20x7/8) - my question is -was there a change from SLOTTED head to PHILIPS head about 1948 or - or they all supposed to be SLOTTED head ? Thanks ( See picture above )

Posted on: 2015/11/25 17:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to the parts manual all 22-23 models used # G189134 screws to hold the bracket. Utility section says that is a plain finish Fillister head 1/4-28 x 7/8 slotted machine screw.

If you can't find something locally and really want the slotted screws McMaster has the 1/4-28 screws in 3/4" length stainless but you would have to buy 25 for slightly over $8. 1/4-20s in the same length stainless are slightly less. Ordinary 1/4-20 steel Fillister screws require buying a box of 100 for about $12.

Attach file:

gif  (28.34 KB)
209_56563aa3c9810.gif 744X575 px

Posted on: 2015/11/25 17:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thank you Howard - That's what I thought, but I still need one 1/4-28x7/8 slotted head screw . Anyone have a parts car ?

Posted on: 2015/11/25 18:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved