Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
31 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 31

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Overheat mystery
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
I did the once popular 288 head on the 327 for the compression hike ,and am plagued with a mysterious overheat problem !
.radiator is record,hoses replaced ,I took out the thermostat ,I'll replace the water pump this weekend and maybe get brave and pull the heat tube but I replaced it before .
Could it be the 288 head. . ?

I still have the 327 head ,but I wonder ,an internal blockage ? Or a difference in the morphology of the head ? I'm mystified

I have a edmunds intake and it splits the radiator outlet to the heater to run through the intake too but I don't think this would overheat the thunderbolt ,?..
Can an ignition faulty wiring cause an overheat? What about lean carburator ?
Can I post a phone pic ?

Posted on: 2015/7/15 21:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Overheat mystery
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Hey maby the water outlet for the heater that I "y'd" to run a parrelel circuit through the edmunds manifold IS the overheat issue
It would be easy enough to block off the water tap and retry
Changing out the water pump ,replacing the hoses to the radiator ,replacing the thermostat didn't help , the heat tube . I withdrew it as much as it would slide back without removing the radiator amd it looked perfect ,a brass one not the corroding steel replacement
The heat tubes to the carburators are not installed maby the little chokes are in the choke position ,but the engine runs smoothly ,

Posted on: 2015/7/19 4:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
hey im talking to my self call the shrink ,unanticipated radiator gum up despite recant rebuild /recore was culprit!

Posted on: 2015/11/18 9:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Glad you found your problem. Remote diagnosis for this type of problem is almost impossible.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 13:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Ahh that wasn't it either ,after lots of intervention it turns out. A mechanic replaced my radiator cap with the wrong one ,it was on short and the coolest wouldn't develop any pressure. Now with. Correct cap runs fine
Next is to reconstruct th hot air choke tubes
The originial Is rotten and gone
I hear. From an old thread that the tube is closed off
At the bottom in the manifold
I don't want too take off the manifold ,am worried about. Drilling out the tube and getting metal filings in the cylinder
I have. A edmunds dual intake. And 2 strombeprg aero type carbs ,they have hot air chokes ,I got some 1/4" Copper tubing and. Fitting s to maker the hot airlines

Posted on: 2016/1/9 23:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved