Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Air cleaner differences
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I am a bit confused by the variety of air cleaner configurations, and what is correct for which models.

For instance my car is a 200, but has the optional "300" engine (327) and an oil bath air cleaner. Mine is what I would consider a normal style of air cleaner, but I see a lot of cars with the larger air cleaner that crosses over the engine. Which style is considered normal for "junior" or "senior" models? Are there oil-wetted and oil bath versions of each type, and when were they used?

Attach file:

jpg  (42.83 KB)
34001_56520e97932f4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.21 KB)
34001_56520eca382ac.jpg 640X360 px

Posted on: 2015/11/22 13:52
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Re: Air cleaner differences
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The small round one was standard on the 200 but the larger oil bath cleaner was optional on 200s both from the factory and from dealers. According to the RPO sheet the oil bath was standard on the 250, 300 and 400 models. It was probably ordered when the optional engines were installed on 200s but being as the 200 was the low end almost everything was an option at extra cost for that model.

The oil wetted was adequate but oil bath was recommended for dusty or severe use areas and was considered the best available at the time. I'm sure a lot of dealers made a few extra bucks by promoting it.

Posted on: 2015/11/22 14:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I think there are two sizes of the round ones, a smaller version that is oil-wetted and the larger one like mine that is an oil bath.

Are all the crossover style units oil bath type?

Posted on: 2015/11/22 14:17
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The crossover styles are the deluxe version inasmuch as the long cylinder is a silencer. Standard on 400s and I believe 300s. It was available for 200-250s but not sure if that was the oil bath which was the main option on the 200 and 250s. More likely the round oil bath was primarily used on those.

AFAIK postwar deluxe horizontal types are all oil bath but I believe there are a few prewars which cross over the engine having the silencer portion but are oil wetted.

Posted on: 2015/11/22 14:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From the 1951 Packard Serviceman's Training Manual. Upper unit is only oiled mesh, lower is oil bath.

Attach file:

jpg  (132.12 KB)
177_56521e3ed526a.jpg 595X1000 px

Posted on: 2015/11/22 14:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
In 1952 the oil bath option was the round one shown in the second photo of the first post. I believe it was the only year it was used, and it was used on everything, even Patricians. Perhaps the across the engine style was viewed as too much metal to waste during wartime. If you didn't get an oil bath, you got the bird strainer that Owen showed in his post.

A few of the across the engine types had the oil-wetted filter during the early bathtub era. The filter element was mounted vertically on the end of the big cylinder. I have never seen one of them in real life. All of the rest of the cross the engine filters were proper oil baths.

A word of caution on rushing out to buy one: you will notice that the air comes out the bottom of the big cylinder on the 22-23d series cars, as in the photo in the first post. To fit the 51-54 cars the air comes out the top of the big cylinder as in the second photo in Owen's post. You can put a late one on an early car, but if you try to put a bathtub unit on a 51-54, the hood will not shut.

Posted on: 2015/11/22 19:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Thanks for the insights guys, good info and I think my questions are answered. I'm not planning to rush out and change my filter, I actually prefer the more compact style AC oil bath that I have anyway.

Nice structural issue that Ross points out, I never noticed that. Maybe you found that out the hard way once?

In today's Craigslist recital there is an ad for a set of 4 cars, looks like the one '53 that shows an engine picture has the AC filter too, though who knows what has been traded around on a car during the previous 60-odd years.

Attach file:

jpg  (58.53 KB)
34001_565515311bc47.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2015/11/24 20:56
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fleet Butterfield
See User information
My 54 clipper didn't come with a oil bath air cleaner. Instead, I found a paper type filter in the trunk. The filter size is 4"h x 8"dia. It sits on a assembly that goes over the 2 1/2" carb opening. Inside the filter base is a cone with holes all over it.(1/8in? or less)
At first I thought this was off some piece of farm equipment because the underside of the base is orange, like the International, or Case tractors, equipment, etc. Then I remembered that the Packard engines were painted orange. Therefore thinking this maybe a packard original. However, after reading this thread, I'm back to thinking it's from a piece of farm equipment, unless someone tells me other wise. The car came from Iowa.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.84 KB)
130418_57898fee3bf18.jpg 400X297 px

jpg  (25.32 KB)
130418_5789904b3a45c.jpg 400X297 px

Posted on: 2016/7/14 23:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Then I remembered that the Packard engines were painted orange

Unaware of any Packard engines painted Orange.

Posted on: 2016/7/15 8:55
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fleet Butterfield
See User information
So what should the color of '54 engine be?

Posted on: 2016/7/15 20:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved