Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 Golden Anniversary
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Do you guys this this is a real Golden Anniversary car? The whole car has been repainted, including the firewall. I guess the only way to tell would be to see it in person & look under the dash for the gold color on the inside of the firewall. It looks like the spare tire wheel has been repainted as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Packard-Anniversary-Edition-Gold-/151893319635?forcerrptr=true&hash=item235d8c1fd3:g:K8QAAOSwf-VWUzpF&item=151893319635

Posted on: 2015/11/26 22:24
 Top  Print 

Re: 9149 Golden Anniversary
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I vote for it being a real gold car. I actually don't think that the firewall was painted because of the types and spots of discoloration and corrosion that you would not get with a modern base/clear paint as seems to be on the rest of the car. Also none of the smaller details like the steering column support grommet seem to have paint on them. The inner edge of the trunk rim also looks factory applied.

Posted on: 2015/11/27 6:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I see by the plate it was a PA car..... One of yours Ross??
John

Posted on: 2015/11/27 8:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The VN is closely bracketed by other 2362 cars which are known to be authentic Golden Anniversary models so I'd say there is a good chance it's a legitimate one. If the patent plate is original to the car and still legible the clincher would be paint code "R" on the plate. Another clincher would be "Req. No. 1" on the build slip if it has been found.

Posted on: 2015/11/27 9:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It may have belonged to Clark Millison. Sadly he has had a severe stroke and would not be able to comment.

Posted on: 2015/11/27 11:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If it is original, the "anniversary aura" sure isn't helping the selling price. Collectors search for the elusive and what they want to believe. Sellers leverage that. So caveat emptor.
I don't think that gold paint lasted very well, so it would have to be stored out of the light.
Anyone know why they didn't fill in those "VIN" plates? Mine's the same way, no evidence of paint or trim codes.

Posted on: 2015/11/30 9:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Anyone know why they didn't fill in those "VIN" plates? Mine's the same way, no evidence of paint or trim codes.

Paint and trim were marked at the factory so they almost certainly did fill them in but they were usually done with a purple or black ink which has probably been lost over time. Even many of those you can still read are pretty faint, many almost illegible, by now.

Posted on: 2015/11/30 10:11
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved