Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 90

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fresh air duct flapper
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Hi I'm going to rebuild /replace/ ? The driver side 5 " fresh air duct
There's a flapper with dry rot rubber but the case is bent
Didn't find a new unit
The Kanter guys said they made a replacement but stopped 30 yr ago
Max Merrit has the rubber
The flap is sort of stapled together over a pivot bar inside the duct
It has a flange to screw into the firewall with 4 screw holes and a cable holding bracket
I used the original driver fresh air firewall hole to mount a disc brake booster which worked great !
I'll remount this duct /flapper assembly up and in in a free spot
Anyone ever redid one , or have one lying around ?

Posted on: 2016/1/25 16:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Fresh air duct flapper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't have one but they should be easy enough to come by. Virtually the same 51-4 and maybe even 55-6. At the worst the later ones would just need new holes drilled if the mounting locations changed. Am curious where you are moving it though. I don't recall that much space being clear under the dash.

Since it is a short piece, any chance of quickly repairing yours by using two narrow blocks of wood or maybe metal -- like two pieces of angle iron -- one inside and one outside. Squeeze the pieces together using a couple of heavy C clamps or large visegrips.. If the dent or bend is not too bad possibly that compression between the pieces would press the bend out.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 16:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Take a look in my project blog.... I replace the rubber in my flappers.

Basically, I carefully bent the "feet" up on each staple and remove it. Then reused them upon reassemble. A couple broke because they were rusty, so I used some stiff wire to replace them.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 16:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Thanks for the good suggestions !i was able to tap it out pretty straight
The central flapper rod sort of wiggles out ,its shaped like s snake lying on the ground in s turns and it has a flat rectangular channel to run through in the flap which is what makes it turn
I pulled it apart and made a new flapper guesstimate out of an inner tube and will use wire to put it back together
There's some good firewall real estate above the steering colom exit and below the little cable for the vacumb wiper motor
I moved the voltage regulator sideways to the left plenty of room for that
I'll have to shorten the long lower duck 6-8" and add some flex able duct is a turn to bring the source of air up higher ,hopefully it'll flow down nicely from under the dash
The only thing in the way on the inside is a paper heat dispersal duct
But I live in texas where 60 is cold
So when you go from off to air does the cable push or pull?
Tomorrow paints dry and I'll reassemble with wire ,make new gaskets and order the oil cloth duct ,max Merritt has it

Posted on: 2016/1/25 21:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Where in your blog ,I must have missed it its pages and pages !

Posted on: 2016/1/25 22:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Oh too late ,I rebuilt the little rascal with some wire and a motorcycle inner tube ,wasn't too hard in the end
I mounted it up to flow behind the dash on a blank part of the firewall as the original spot got taken by the disc booster ,boy that was an adventure ,!, the firewall insulation is a layer of 60 yr old cardboard and then some jute ,both very dry and great tinder for the sparks from a abrasive wheel ,DASH FIRE !
I got it installed and got the cable freed up and reattached
Next will be taking the battery tray out and putting in the lower tube which I had to shorten 8" and then the flex hose
But I used up my fun time vacumbing up the fire extinguisher stuff

Posted on: 2016/1/26 19:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved