Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil Filter Canister
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

40clubcoupe
See User information
I installed an oil filter on my 1940 engine as bought from one of the known Packard vendors. As I was changing the oil yesterday I realized the canister has no drain plug. Pulling the lid and cartridge out reveals about 1/3 to 1/2 of oil sitting in the canister, just below the hole in the central tube. I thought "why would they make an oil canister with no drain plug?". So I removed the canister from the engine and drained it in a bucket. Sure would have been easier if they had installed that inexpensive little plug.

Posted on: 2016/1/27 13:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil Filter Canister
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Since you service your own car, perhaps you should consider purchasing a suction gun. Not only is it very suitable for emptying the oil filter canister of its residue, but also is handy for filling differentials, transmissions, etc. Buy a good quality steel one, it should last you a lifetime.

PS - if you buy your differential and trans gear oils in 5-gallon pails a good pump is indispensable.

Posted on: 2016/1/27 13:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some of the aftermarket filters had drain plugs but not Packards. I think Packard dealers must have had some kind of suction device or just didn't worry about the pint or so in the canister.

Rather than removing the canister you can buy a cheap hand operated transfer pump from Harbor Freight for about $7. Comes with some tubing which you can cut or customize for your needs. Just stick the tubing in the canister, pull the plunger to pick up the dirty oil and expel it into an old oil container.
http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-61364.html

Posted on: 2016/1/27 13:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I use an expensive, very high-tech device to get the excess oil out of the bottom of the canister:

Attach file:

jpg  (3.11 KB)
188_56a98cf5c2f70.jpg 300X300 px

Posted on: 2016/1/27 22:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
That's what I use - just don't let your wife catch you!

Posted on: 2016/1/27 22:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Don't forget to clean out the sediment at the bottom of the canister. This is where the real filtering takes place.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/1/27 23:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Yes, my modus operandi is to syphon using the baster then mop with paper towels/rags till the canister is clean.

Posted on: 2016/1/27 23:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved