Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 80

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 series 22 steering wheel removal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DBeck
See User information
Am I missing something on trying to remove the horn ring, I have always pushed in and turned and they pop off but not happening on my Packard.

I sure don't want to break the horn ring. I am trying to get turn signals working. and thought I would check things at the switch.

Thanks for any help,
Dave

Posted on: 2016/1/28 20:21
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 series 22 steering wheel removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A couple of possibilities. If it is one of the earlier optional deluxe type wheels ring could be held on with screws from the backside. Look carefully from under the wheel at the center hub near where it meets the shroud. If you find 3 small holes with a screw head barely visible those are probably holding the ring assy.

The regular 48-54 button should push down and rotate approx 25 - 30 degrees counter clockwise. If it does not the other possibility is the plastic button has become "glued" to something inside. The buttons typically have a sponge rubber donut between the button and a piece of metal underneath to keep them from rattling and act as a sort of spring with the locking tabs. On many occasions that sponge rubber has for want of a better word melted and turned into a gooey mess which acts like glue in keeping the button from rotating or doing much of anything. If that has happened it can be a challenge to remove the button.

Posted on: 2016/1/28 20:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
I had a similar problem with my 22nd series. I got it to break free by putting on a nitrile exam glove. The added friction did the job.

Posted on: 2016/1/28 23:08
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DBeck
See User information
I got it guys, I was trying to remove the chrome ring instead of the center button. Thanks for the help.
Dave

Posted on: 2016/1/29 9:44
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved