Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 95

Ross, 29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'48-50 engines
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
I was just wondering, were the 48-50 Packard engines prone to high failure rates? It seems like quite a few have had later engines installed. Mine has a '54 engine and a '49 parts car I looked at not far from me also had a later engine in it as well.
I rode along with a buddy today on a 360 mile round trip to look at a 1939 Buick LWB Model 90 (which he bought)and we were talking cars. He has a 1929 Packard dual cowl phaeton so he knows something about Packard and he told me he had heard that the 48-50 engines were prone to failure. I had not heard of that but, from what I have seen, there seems to be something to it. So, I was wondering if some one here could give me some insight. Thanks!
Kevin

Posted on: 2016/1/29 19:36
 Top  Print 

Re: '48-50 engines
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 48-50 engines were extremely rugged and reliable and had from a design and build viewpoint no significant differences from their counterparts in 51-54.

The later engines had more power and were plentiful and thus would be a logical choice when re-engining an older car.

No basis in fact for what your friend heard.

Posted on: 2016/1/29 20:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Kevin

Dave is correct, those are among the most bulletproof engines Packard built. As for the 1954 engine in your 1948 Super Eight limousine, that likely has more to do with the service it performed in its working years. If it was in livery operation, it may well have racked up far more miles than show on the odometer. Were it's original engine becoming tired from that high mileage but the body still in good condition otherwise, the Packard dealer would have gladly swapped in either a factory-supplied service engine or a low-mileage unit salvage from a late-model wreck. Either was more common back action then than now.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/1/30 11:11
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
If we're talking about the 356 engine that was introduced in 1940, by 1948 the lubricating of hydraulic lifter (a first) and oil-breather issues and carburetion were improved. If not, never mind.

Posted on: 2016/1/30 13:30
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved