Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
42 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 42

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Ultramatic transmission shifting gears
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There is a kick down rod that is attaches between the throttle linkage and the side of the tranny. But thats it.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 13:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't recall what it is called, but some older cars with automatic transmissions

Commonly called a "dashpot"; Packard used it for a few years, as I recall on just prewar OD-equipped cars, but not on automatic transmission cars. It's purpose was to more slowly allow the engine to slow down to idle speed.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 13:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave thanks for "dashpot" as I was having one of those senior moments.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 18:55
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ammiller83
See User information
What is the best transmission fluid to use on ultramatic?

Posted on: 2016/2/1 15:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Closest to the original type A fluid Packard used is todays type F. That has a friction characteristic similar enough to original the clutches won't slip too much. It is being phased out but should still be easy enough to find. Others have used B&M Trick Shift which is again similar to type F but with additional friction modifiers for a more positive engagement. It is more expensive than ordinary fluids.

If the transmission has been rebuilt with modern clutch disc facings instead of the original cork then almost any of the popular GM fluids suitable for the 1960-2000 time period will work.

The modern Dexron combination fluid which can also be used in Ford transmissions seems to be workable too.

Posted on: 2016/2/1 15:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Agree with Howard. I have several customer rebuilds running on Dextron and they run smooth and quiet. Shifting is very smooth.

Posted on: 2016/2/1 18:32
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ammiller83
See User information
What parts do i need to serviced my Ultramatic transmission?

Posted on: 2017/8/15 16:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No sure if your question refers to tools needed or to the actual parts in the transmission but there is no good answer to the question.

There are some special tools needed although generic aftermarket tools will work for some of them. On others it takes a bit of ingenuity to come up with a workaround. In general the requirement is for bushing removal and install tools as well as holding pieces to either control a part while disassembling something containing a spring or just to keep an item in a working position.

Internal parts needed depends on the transmission and what is wrong. IMO, if you are going to go into a suspect Ultra it is foolish to do it half way. Ultras are somewhat different than trans from other mfgs because they rely very heavily on passages in shafts and rotating components to direct or contain pressure. Accordingly, they are very sensitive to worn bushings or shafts at the points the fluid enters or exits a shaft. Hard seals also present leakage issues. The usual result of lost pressure is extreme wear on clutch plates.

At the least, I would get a rebuild kit from Kanter or Ultramatic Dynamics containing seals, bushings and clutch plates and install it in its entirety. The kits do not contain any major hard parts. If the trans has never been worked on, the bands and direct drive clutch are probably now hard as a rock old cork and should be replaced. Shafts and portions of items they rotate in would need to be examined carefully to ensure they are not worn where the bushings or sealing rings are placed. Any wear at those spots and replacing only one half of the sealing part will not do much to prevent loss of pressure. A rebuild would then perhaps not solve whatever was wrong.

Posted on: 2017/8/16 13:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ammiller83
See User information
I am looking for a transmission shop in San Antonino tx? If anyone knows of a good shop.

Posted on: 2017/8/16 14:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Have you contacted the PAC region in San Antonio to see if they had any suggestions?
http://www.packardclub.org

Posted on: 2017/8/16 19:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved