Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Correct Hardware
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Where can I find guideline of the type of hardware used (screws and nuts) on a 1939 Packard Six? I have started restoration of my late Dad's 39 Packard and under the hood I see a host of wrong vintage hardware. Some were by the previous owner, others I am certain by my Dad to keep the car running. I have spent hours searching on the web without success. Example, hardware holding voltage regulator to the firewall has round head slotted 8-32 screws. Was this a fillister head or large pan head, similar to what is found on electrical terminals.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 20:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Correct Hardware
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know of anyone who does that for Packards unless it might be Max Merritt. He does list some interior screw sets for various years. No idea if they are truly Packard items or modern screws. For most fastener specifics we are sort of on our own unless Flackmaster has put something together for those years he specializes in. Your 39 is one of those.

If nothing is available, it is tedious but if you look in the parts manual a good many of the parts will have a listing of most screws used or needed to mount a particular item. Typically they will show group and part numbers for screws. Unless it is a specially made screw or fastener used only for that item, the general purpose or ordinary mounting & attachment screws will be listed in the Utility section.

Once you have the screw numbers, go to the Utility section and find the group number. In most cases there is a photo showing the type screw, and if no photo then there should be a description. By finding the part number you can usually get the specs such as thread size and length. Some items will not be found or will cross thru various years. There is a utility section in all the parts manuals available on site except the 41-47 Clipper manual. If working on a later car and the item has been used for years you may need to check an earlier version utility section to find specs on a particular item.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 21:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thank you Howard, greatly appreciate your input. I will advise what I find

Posted on: 2016/2/3 22:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Correct. Group 50

Posted on: 2016/2/3 23:20
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

40clubcoupe
See User information
One of my favorite places to search for unique hardware that cannot be found at True Value & Ace is McMASTER-CARR out of New Jersey. They have a nearly-4000 page catalog that contains items that you would have thought was discontinued many decades ago. They do have a website, but for me, the paper catalog is as entertaining as it is functional.
Be glad you're only looking for correct Packard hardware. Real frustration comes when you delve into an old British car with Whitworth gauge hardware.

Posted on: 2016/2/4 7:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I understand, but have not looked, that eBay has a section for fasteners and washers. It is supposed to have an extensive inventory.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/2/4 10:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved