Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1955 Suspension video
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have the safe road ahead and some others on the 53-4 thru 56 cars. Some are even amusing because of the attitude and comments made then that would get you in all kinds of trouble today. Also have the Motor City DVD with the segment in question -- even though it is a bit degraded from the several transfers to DVD.

I am not sure exactly where the railroad tracks are but IIRC, the DVD mentions a famous car killing intersection the tracks cross somewhere in Detroit and was not taken at the PPG. In the Allison portion where they were testing the cycle car and some other cars in the same neighborhood a dog runs out and almost ends the testing in a hard way.

Relying on dry and sometimes boring technical descriptions or cartoons with a car running around a track leaves a bit wanting so I was just thinking if that short comparison video was on You Tube it would be a humorous introduction to TL that a multitude could enjoy. I can't think of another or better showing on just how advanced the suspension was for the time (and I am not too sure todays cars would fare any better against the TL suspension). Of course GM and Ford would probably rather it not be seen.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 20:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
I am not sure exactly where the railroad tracks are but IIRC, the DVD mentions a famous car killing intersection the tracks cross somewhere in Detroit and was not taken at the PPG.

Again, it has been a few years, but IIRC the RR tracks in question were between Jefferson Avenue and the Detroit River and several blocks east of where the Renaissance Center is today.

Maybe I will have to dig out that DVD.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 21:25
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Howard,
If you seen the black and white 1955 ad with cars covered, that's what filmed. If you seen the picture of the pointer and the rear bumper, it's filmed too. The 55 show chassis is used to explain how it works. At the end of the film the commentator says this is the car you will be selling in 1955.
I think you would enjoy it.

I'm still looking for my Bill Allison DVD

Posted on: 2016/2/2 21:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you view the 1973 PAC National Meet in Detroit video as available on the PAC website (PAC Club Videos from the menu bar) at just before the 5' mark there is some footage of the cycle car on the Proving Grounds test track; perhaps someone can confirm but I believe that's Allison himself at the wheel. And at about the 13' mark some lead-footed owners doing higher speed laps. What a thrill it must have been to have been there are do laps on the still-intact test track!

Was the facility owned by Ford at that time? Whoever owned it, I can only think what owner's today would require in terms of liability insurance and the like to allow such an event, if at all.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 10:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

Was the facility owned by Ford at that time? Whoever owned it, I can only think what owner's today would require in terms of liability insurance and the like to allow such an event, if at all.

Very technically the real estate arm of Ford, Ford Motor Land Development Co. owned the site in 1973. When Packard car manufacturing left Detroit for South Bend the PPG was acquired by Curtiss - Wright. They owned the property for a handful of years before selling to Ford.

Packards1 would know better if that was Bill Allison in the 1973 video as he and another MCP club member were the guys involved with the Bill Allison video to DVD footage.

Let the Ride mentioned the 1955 torsion-bar show car chassis - I can tell you that it is now at the Packard Proving Grounds and ready to be restored to show-car condition.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 15:47
-

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Found and re-watched the Allison DVD. That so amazing that that was done for us who came later.

Roger, what motor is in the show chassis? I thought it had Pushbutton making it the 56, more pictures to find!

Posted on: 2016/2/4 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
......Roger, what motor is in the show chassis? I thought it had Pushbutton making it the 56, more pictures to find!

So I was out at the PPG today and checked. You remember correctly - it is a 1956 Torsion-Bar, show chassis and it was donated to us by PMCF Trustee, Charles Blackman. Please see the photo attached.

The Foundation would like to get this back to auto-show condition. If anyone is interested in helping to fund the restoration, then we are accepting donations.

Attach file:

jpg  (108.59 KB)
436_56b570f8af43b.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/2/5 23:04
-

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Just a question if the picture is of 56 why does it have the 55 rear axle rather than 56 Dana assembly can't tell from picture but does it have alloy transmission or cast iron ? Not being smart just trying to qualify my knowledge of 55 and 56 cars. Pushbutton shifter appears to be different color could have been added for 56 look.

Posted on: 2016/2/6 10:30
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Sorry but I am not familiar with the neither the details of 1955-56 torsion-bar chassis' nor this particular artifact.

I guess Charles Blackman, the donor, may be able to answer your question. Meanwhile, it is available at the PPG for your inspection.

Posted on: 2016/2/6 11:36
-

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Roger,
If I time it right going to the 2016 meet, I would like to stop by Sunday June 12 to check this out again.

Some observations besides what Acolds noted;
The generator bracket is positioned like 1955.
Is the torsion level system 55 or 56?
What are the casting marks on the engine and transmission?
What are the tag numbers on the carburetor?
If it still has bumpers, 55 or 56?

The chassis is painted different than what's in the video and needs to be checked to the other pictures of the torsion level displays.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=101

Posted on: 2016/2/6 17:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved