Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 163

tuskman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What is your cold start and warmup procedure?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
On my '41 110, after observing that I can turn the engine over with the starter button and the ignition off, I have begun to use this procedure for cold starts:

1. Switch ignition "OFF"
2. Turn engine over with starter button for 10 seconds to circulate oil and build up oil pressure
3. Depress accelerator to floor to set choke
4. Switch ignition "ON"
5. Prime fuel line with electric boost pump for 5 seconds
6. Press starter while continuing to run electric fuel boost pump until engine starts.

As for warmup, in temperatures between 40-60 degrees F, I have been letting the car warmup about 1 minute on the "high idle" circuit then kicking it down to low (normal) idle for about 3 minutes.

I will then proceed to drive very gently for the first 5 minutes (shifting at a lower RPM than I normally would and accelerating very slowly) until I start to register coolant temperature comfortably above the lower peg after which I resume normal driving.

What do you guys do?

Posted on: 2016/2/9 17:43
 Top  Print 

Re: What is your cold start and warmup procedure?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Basically, this is the procedure I use when awakening my 115C after a several days nap. I like the idea of getting oil circulated in the engine before starting. I am sure others have their cold start procedures and look forward to reading about them.

(o{}o)

Like O_D, I don't have an electric fuel pump. Turning the engine over a few times in short 5-second bursts 'till oil pressure is registered is enough to prime the carb.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 22:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I use a similar procedure if the car has been idle for a week or more, except that I don't have an electric fuel pump and find it unnecessary, the couple of engine cranks until the oil pressure gauge shows movement is enough to fill the carburetor, so no steps 5 & 6.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 23:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I like the process of turning an engine over that has been sitting for a long time to get oil throughout the system. I avoid using a starter for more than 5 seconds without letting it cool down for 5 to 10 seconds before turning it over for another 5 seconds.

Not sure if the "5 Second Rule" is necessary or not. It was something a long time mechanic told me 50 plus years ago. As I remember it was my auto shop teacher in high school.

He was in his mid 40's at the time and decided he want to teach, got his credentials, sold his shop and got a job with the Los Angeles School District. When I asked him why, he said the hours were better, the job was cleaner, didn't have customers to content with and that he could send students that got out of control to the Boy's Vice Principals Office. I took several night classes from him on repairing hydramatic transmission.

Posted on: 2016/2/10 5:17
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

28Pack526
See User information
Nothing new to add other than to corroborate what others have said. I use the same procedure whether it's the Packard or Continentals on my twin Cessna. Prime, crank until I see oil pressure, then light the mags / coil.

Another data-point to add to Marston's observations: The operating manual for the IO-470s in my Cessna 310 (admittedly very different beasts though) says no more than 30sec of cranking followed by a 5min cool down before further attempts. I don't think I'd feel comfortable cranking my 526 for 30 seconds straight, but then it usually catches immediately so I've never had to go there.

Posted on: 2016/2/11 1:25
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved