Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: torsion level
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For probably 90% of my driving I don't leave the auto-level switch activated. Yes I turn it on when I gas up, add or subtract stuff from the trunk or passengers, or highway driving that will burn thru a tank of gas in a few hours. Other than allowing it to adjust level for those circumstances I generally turn it off - I don't find it necessary and I guess it's just habit.

Posted on: 2016/3/21 11:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Owen_Dyneto Quote:
For probably 90% of my driving I don't leave the auto-level switch activated. Yes I turn it on when I gas up, add or subtract stuff from the trunk or passengers, or highway driving that will burn thru a tank of gas in a few hours. Other than allowing it to adjust level for those circumstances I generally turn it off - I don't find it necessary and I guess it's just habit.

That's exactly what I do. In addition, I have a manual override DPDT switch under the dash next to the On/Off switch. I usually use the manual switch to demo the T-L to onlookers if I'm parked someplace. Occasionally, I'll "tweak" the level position with it while driving, but that usually isn't necessary.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/3/21 11:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
The torsion bar suspension has been excellent until the shock absorbers started to fail. Got to change them this coming weekend.

The self leveling system is another thing entirely. It worked OK for a couple of years and then quit due, as far as I can tell, to a worn-out compensator motor, which I replaced. The guy who did that job could not figure out the wiring, so I have not used it for more than a year.

I would very much appreciate any referrals to good auto electricians in the DC/Northern Virginia area. I can't seem to find anyone willing to work on it.

Posted on: 2016/3/21 14:46
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
thanks to all of you for responding to my question.
It sounds incredible and I hope to experience T-L someday.
Maybe when I visit the mainland someday.......LOL
I always like to hear first hand experience from other people.
I have a lot to learn about this subject and thanks to your posts I have a list of sources to check out.

Why wasn't this technology used by other auto makers after the end of Packard.......?

Posted on: 2016/3/21 15:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
if you fly into san diego, I will pick you up in one,

when I came back from maui in 1977 my dad pick me up in his pack 12, the flight crew was like wow!, they were out side,

Posted on: 2016/3/21 17:02
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Why wasn't this technology used by other auto makers after the end of Packard.......?

I think expense was one reason -- also possibly the standard old "not invented here" was another. It was patented by Allison and in the DVD interview he mentions some tests that were being done to incorporate the system with some other mfgs. There is a Rambler shown on some of the runs over the RR tracks. He didn't go into details as to all he might have been working with but just mentions he had hoped to license it to other mfgs but that didn't happen.

Posted on: 2016/3/21 17:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
MrBumble Quote:
The self leveling system is another thing entirely. It worked OK for a couple of years and then quit due, as far as I can tell, to a worn-out compensator motor, which I replaced. The guy who did that job could not figure out the wiring, so I have not used it for more than a year.

Some people, including mechanics that should know better, are mystified by the T-L leveler (compensator) control system. I've found it to be quite reliable even after 60 years. To me, the "high tech" aspect of this sophisticated suspension is a big part of its charm. The other part is that it actually works really well. I've had the whole T-L system apart on my Panther including the bars removed and compensator gearbox disassembled, but I'm a graduate engineer. Still, it isn't that hard. LOL!

Craig

Posted on: 2016/3/21 18:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
HH56 Quote:
(snip) He [Allison] didn't go into details as to all he might have been working with but just mentions he had hoped to license it to other mfgs but that didn't happen.

Here's a page on my website about the 1958 version:

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/torsionalSystem1958.html

It seems rather "Rube Golberg"-ish to me...probably to get around any patent infringement issues.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/3/21 18:07
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ron Jordan
See User information
Fortunately for me, I have 4 1956 Packards, 2 Caribbeans, 1 Patrician and 1 400 and all torsion level systems are working fine (fingers crossed) at this time.

Posted on: 2016/3/22 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
"Knock wood" as they say, approaching 18 years with '56 TL and other than replacing a brake light switch with an OEM correct switch, never a hiccup, burp, or problem. I did swap a few TL control box cores I had for a solid state conversion unit but it still sits in the trunk, the unit on the car is the same as when I purchased it, as is everything else. I did buy a pair of new limit switches when they were readily available but likewise they still sit on the shelf as spares.

Posted on: 2016/3/22 10:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved