Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 117

Daniel Leininger, pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 12 »

Re: New Gas Tank Issue
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Hey Don,

Thanks for the advice. I did the fix, filling in the indent with the JB Weld with good results. It still leaks a little but I do have a full tank of gas. As it draws down perhaps the leak and the odor will dissipate.

I replaced all the fuel lines when the tank was replaced so I may have a small leak somewhere between the tank and the carb. I agree with you that could also be the source of the smell in the passenger compartment. I'll put it on the lift today and check those lines.

Posted on: 2016/4/17 5:42
Jed
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Correct Gas caps for these tanks are not easy to find, they need to be vented and all of the 50's Chebby re-poped caps that I looked at were non vented. Seems like I bought an NOS cap off Ebay?

Posted on: 2016/4/17 10:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Stant still manufactures the correct vented gas cap for these cars. I forget their part number but if you're willing to pay a bit more Dwight Heinmuller has them for sale, check his website or give him a call. Meantime I'll try to find the Stant #, I have a couple of extras - always carry an extra in the glove box.

EDIT: The Stant # is G-37, I've got 3 new ones and a half-dozen used ones; if someone is in need send me a PM but you can probably just go to NAPA or similar and order one.

Posted on: 2016/4/17 10:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information

Posted on: 2016/4/17 14:09
Jed
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M. Heinzen
See User information
Hi all, that's very interesting I have the same problem with smelling gas. I bought last year also a new gas tank for my 55 400 from Kanter.
My Cap looks exactly like on Jed's Photo.

Matthias

Posted on: 2016/4/19 0:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
On the gas tank "flap", The notch was put in by our vendor so the tank would function with vented/non-vented caps. If a gas smell would come from the notch then it would come from a vented cap. If a tank is vented or not vented and you fill it in warm weather to the very top, it will expand and it has to go somewhere.

Either it will go out the vent or will push past the cap gasket which has always been a hard material. New cars have a sealed system/sealed cap and are designed not to leak in this condition.

(In my opinion if a cars smells from gas there is a leak somewhere along the lines or in the pump or carburetor.......or maybe in the Treadlevac.)

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2016/4/19 8:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
We would file a shallow v-shaped groove in the top of the sealing lip of the tank's fill tube when we had a Packard with a gas tank venting problem with a non-vented cap. This fixed the problem without having to replace the cap, and it would would work with vented and non-vented caps. No problems with gas odors unless the owner over filled. The leaking from the expanding gas would quickly go away as the car was driven.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/4/19 12:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I would expect a reproduction to be a reproduction without this type of modification to the design! With it, it becomes a replacement, not a reproduction.

Posted on: 2016/4/19 12:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Does such an indentation exist on OTHER reproduction gas tanks made for ANY car???

As for the vented v non-vented cap:

Use a 1/32 drill to VENT a cap thaat is UNvented or clean out the vent on a factory vented cap. Drilling such a hole This is rocket science nor require the skill of a an eng'ring PhD.

The indentation as shown in the pic above was put there for some OTHER reason but NOT for venting. Probably something to do alig with alignment procedures during the fab of the tank. OR, someone made a decision that had to business making ANY decision about a gas tank.

Posted on: 2016/4/19 14:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm using a gas tank in my 56 Exec that was from some other modern car. I don't what it was. It will also puke a little gasoline from the cap if i fill the tank too full. I just haave to be careful not to fill the tank too full. That's all.

Posted on: 2016/4/19 14:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved