Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

Bob J, JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 12 »

Re: New Gas Tank Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Every 51-56 Packard I have ever owned will leak at the gas cap, either through the vent hole or around the gasket if over 3/4 full and cornered with moderate vigor.

Posted on: 2016/4/19 15:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Years ago the windshield in the family's 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 developed a leak that kept putting water into the car's kick panel plastic wastebasket making whatever was left in it rot. Guess what my engineer father's fix was? Why of course to drill holes in the wastebasket!

This notch is the same bad engineering and serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. It's really not rocket science to simply put a note with the new tanks that a vented cap must be used. I had planned on buying several of these tanks and may ultimately have to do so but I hope this problem is rectified first so that I don't have to have them repaired before they can be installed. I think PackardV8's observation hit the nail on the head:

Quote:
The indentation as shown in the pic above was put there for some OTHER reason but NOT for venting. Probably something to do align with alignment procedures during the fab of the tank. OR, someone made a decision that had to business making ANY decision about a gas tank.

Posted on: 2016/4/19 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Back to the problem at hand (and I have never had a leaking cap on my many 1951 to 1956 Packards), if fuel is being smelled inside the car it would have to be from a leak farther forward. Even with the cap leaking profusely, it would not be smelled inside while driving.

Posted on: 2016/4/19 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
My new tank is the same, no gas smell from back there in 1100 miles so far. I'm very happy with the tank, so much better to go brand new than try to string along old junk and my old tank was surely junk.

Perhaps smelling gas from in the rear indicates the rear seat and trunk areas are not tight.

Posted on: 2016/4/19 21:07
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

VesPac
See User information
So, I'm not alone with this "Kanter gas tank issue". How somebody even think to make vent like this and to bottom half of filling neck, why not top half? Think that water can get in if this notch or what ever they like to call it, is on top half?
Don't know, but I decide to take it out and send my junk gas tank back to Kanter, by new Chevy 55 - 57 tank and hope that I don't have to deal newer again with those sales persons.

This I wrote to PackardClub forum and I copy paste my text here:

[font=Courier]Hello
I'm new Packard owner. I have just basic model, 1951 4d sedan. Car have been in barn many years but still good shape and after some working hours back on the road.
My old gas tank have leakage, so I purchase new one from Kanter Auto Products. Everything fit nice and looks good but after I fill the tank (about 3/4 full, lot before filling pistol stop by self) and drive to have some Burger.
Jump out from car and smell gas and back near gas tank fill hatch was dirty and wet (gas), I was surprised what went wrong. Gas tank filler neck sealing surface have notch in bottom half about 7 a'clock. Gas tank cap have sealing but gas leaking out from that stupid notch. Gas cap have vent hole and it should be enough to vent the tank.
After sending e-mails with pictures and calls communication was really bad (I understand it's busy time and not nice to deal with not happy customers)
Final answer was that " we have sold hundreds of these gas tanks, I'm only who is not happy and have this kind of problem, by some J & B weld and fill the notch, it should solve the problem"
I spend about $500 for tank and don't like to hear comments like that (really shit service and don't like to deal any more sales persons like that)
Is it really so that I'm only who have problem like that?
I'm also worry because it's safety and serious fire hazard.
But any way nice simple car and I love smooth running straight 8...

Thanks
J.Vestman

Posted on: 2016/7/27 23:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day VesPac,
to PackardInfo, see you made it over from the PAC Website OK.

Know its But I invite you to include your '51 4 Door Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/7/28 0:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I agree wholeheartedly and had expected that these tanks would be true reproductions, which is defined as:

Quote:
Something reproduced, especially in the faithfulness of its resemblance to the form and elements of the original.

These tanks do not fit that definition, however Kanter calls them replacements rather than reproductions so they cannot he held accountable for discrepancies like that but I hope that eventually they will be able to refine them to be actual reproductions. In the meantime, specifying what is not authentic before selling them would be most helpful and save some issues.

Posted on: 2016/7/28 0:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
No leaks with my orginal tank and i fill it all the way up the neck. I have locking gas cap. Which has a thick rubber gasket.

Posted on: 2016/7/28 7:32
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Quote:

VesPac wrote:
So, I'm not alone with this "Kanter gas tank issue". How somebody even think to make vent like this and to bottom half of filling neck, why not top half? Think that water can get in if this notch or what ever they like to call it, is on top half?
Don't know, but I decide to take it out and send my junk gas tank back to Kanter, by new Chevy 55 - 57 tank and hope that I don't have to deal newer again with those sales persons.

This I wrote to PackardClub forum and I copy paste my text here:

[font=Courier]Hello
I'm new Packard owner. I have just basic model, 1951 4d sedan. Car have been in barn many years but still good shape and after some working hours back on the road.
My old gas tank have leakage, so I purchase new one from Kanter Auto Products. Everything fit nice and looks good but after I fill the tank (about 3/4 full, lot before filling pistol stop by self) and drive to have some Burger.
Jump out from car and smell gas and back near gas tank fill hatch was dirty and wet (gas), I was surprised what went wrong. Gas tank filler neck sealing surface have notch in bottom half about 7 a'clock. Gas tank cap have sealing but gas leaking out from that stupid notch. Gas cap have vent hole and it should be enough to vent the tank.
After sending e-mails with pictures and calls communication was really bad (I understand it's busy time and not nice to deal with not happy customers)
Final answer was that " we have sold hundreds of these gas tanks, I'm only who is not happy and have this kind of problem, by some J & B weld and fill the notch, it should solve the problem"
I spend about $500 for tank and don't like to hear comments like that (really shit service and don't like to deal any more sales persons like that)
Is it really so that I'm only who have problem like that?
I'm also worry because it's safety and serious fire hazard.
But any way nice simple car and I love smooth running straight 8...

Thanks
J.Vestman

We did also offer you at the time that you called in the ability to return the item for refund.

Like in a previous post on this thread:

"On the gas tank "flap", The notch was put in by our vendor so the tank would function with vented/non-vented caps. If a gas smell would come from the notch then it would come from a vented cap. If a tank is vented or not vented and you fill it in warm weather to the very top, it will expand and it has to go somewhere.

Either it will go out the vent or will push past the cap gasket which has always been a hard material. New cars have a sealed system/sealed cap and are designed not to leak in this condition."

So if you would like a refund and are unhappy with the product please send it back with a copy of your invoice to my attention and I will handle your refund.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products
Marketing Manager
1-800-526-1099
76 Monroe NJ 07005

Posted on: 2016/7/28 8:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
In light of the definition Don Pierson supplied:

Quote:
Something reproduced, especially in the faithfulness of its resemblance to the form and elements of the original.

Our tanks are not 55 Chevy tanks or the like modified to fit Packards, they are copied/reproduced as closely as we could from the original Packard tank. They "resemble the form" and the "elements" of the original. Note the definition says "resemblance" not "precise exact copy". I think that there are few if any "reproduction" parts that are 100% exact copies undetectable from the original in every way including metallurgy etc.

Our catalog says we sell parts to "fit and function".

As to leakage at the filer neck/cap, I agree with Ross that they all leak if filled to the neck top. In the 50's and 60's our driveway had many dissolved spots from cars that were filled to the top and the gas expanded on a hot day. That's why cars of the era smelled from gas.

To expect a car built with 60 year old technology to perform like a new car is not reasonable.

Posted on: 2016/7/28 12:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved