Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 75

Don B, Todd W. White, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

radio etc
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
Earlier today I wrote a long post here and my internet somehow failed which caused my message to delete itself. Maybe that's good.

I have two questions: was there ever a red instrument background in the 48-49 Packards? I think I must have made that up in my dreams but it was so long ago and I can't separate reality from dreams any more. I had this '48 jet black super 8 convertible back in the 50's with red leather interior. At least I think it was the Super 8 and not the Custom 8.

Then I want to know if and how a radio can be brought back to life. At this point I don't even know how to turn the darn thing on but I don't think it works anyway. The antenna also needs to be fixed so that it rises up from the body the way it was supposed to back then - via the knob to the left of the steering column. What do I need to fix that?

So many questions and all this was supposed to be working when I bought the car but once the money changes hands and the vehicle has come off the truck, what is one to do?

Posted on: 2016/4/23 14:00
1937 Packard Super Eight Convertible, model 1502 in Blue
1948 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - Maroon, Body 2279
1949 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - green
1949 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - black
1949 Oldsmobile
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible Coupe
1993 Bentley Brooklands Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: radio etc
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The site may have timed out on your long post. I believe it is 15 minutes or close to that and if it sees no activity ie selecting a different post or forum it logs you out. You can get in the habit of doing a preview of your longer posts periodically and that keeps the login active.

Look in the literature section under wire diagrams and Radio sheets. Item 18 is sort of an owners manual for the 23rd radio which is very similar to the 22nd. It may be enough to get you familiar with operation on yours Look at item 38 and I believe that is for the 22nd but is more a repair info than owners info. If you can find the PA number on your radio you can see if we have any of the proper items.

On the vacuum antenna it depends on how the seals have fared. There is a leather seal on the piston and another at the top around the antenna mast. Those could have dried or cracked. Hoses also have to be in good condition. Vacuum comes from a tee connection in the hose just before the wiper motor, Feeds the center port of valve. Each valve end port goes to a fitting on the side of antenna at top and bottom. Typical Packard operation is pushing knob in should lower, pulling knob out raises.

Posted on: 2016/4/23 14:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
Thanks. I printed out those radio manuals and will take them over to the car to see if the thing even starts.

I guess for the antenna I'll need to go see a mechanic.
fred

Posted on: 2016/4/23 17:29
1949 Oldsmobile
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe you will be lucky and find a mechanic that knows something about the antennas -- or wants to work on them. If the hoses are old and dry that would be the first thing I would look into changing. You can buy 7/32 vacuum hose at most parts stores. If it still doesn't work after ensuring hoses are good then find someone to look into why.

Here is the vacuum diagram. The supply originates from intake manifold, goes thru the vacuum portion of fuel pump to the wiper motor. The vacuum for antenna is taken from the tee in short hose just before wiper motor and goes to valve and then to antenna.

Attach file:

jpg  (90.08 KB)
209_571bfc76f2765.jpg 1200X1031 px

Posted on: 2016/4/23 17:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
Again, thank you Howard.

Posted on: 2016/4/23 18:00
1949 Oldsmobile
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
If the radio is not coming on-there is a fuse ahead of the radio input. Check to make sure it is ok. If still nothing from the radio-it probably is the vibrator-you will need to get it out and take it to someone familiar with antique radios unless you are comfortable with screwing around with them. I have had similar experience with my 47 radio and the vacuum antenna-Howard helped with the antenna which is not difficult to deal with. Assuming it is the vibrator=there is a capacitor-on back side of the rectifier tube-make sure you change it also otherwise you will find yourself replacing the vibrator again

Posted on: 2016/4/23 20:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
Many radios can be brought back to life if you change a vibrator or a tube or two, but you'll have repeated issues unless you really go through it and replace all the capacitors and check and service the radio properly. A good job takes time and some know how, and while servicing the radio is something most people are capable of with the right tools (tube tester, soldering iron, new capacitors, replacement tubes, replacement solid state vibrator, etc.), there are lots of folks out there who specialize in servicing antique radios and can do the job fast and relatively inexpensively. Dan Skidmore in Los Angeles has been running a top notch radio repair service for the Studebaker community for a number of years (he advertises occasionally in Turning Wheels), he did my Packard radio four years ago and it's been working like a champ ever since. If you can find someone like that locally, who'll put the radio back to stock (not one of those folks who just gut the thing and replace it with modern internal a, yuck!), you'll be back and running, grooving away in no time.

Incidentally, there are a number of products on the market which allow you to keep your radio stock but add on an auxiliary mini (headphone) plug input. My personal experience with the RediRad has been excellent and it's allowed me to plug my iPhone in for long drives to get some good old tunes booming through the great tube radio in my car. If you have any desire to rally have a useful radio, consider one of those products as well.

Posted on: 2016/4/24 0:24
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
I went back to the car and got a hum out of the radio upon turning it on. Now I wonder if I can't get a station because of the aerial not going up. I'll have to play with it some more as I couldn't get the manual dial to work either - just the preset push buttons. I read through the RediRad site and found it very interesting. I will get that device as AM is not exactly what I want to listen to anyway. I don't expect to go on real long drives either but it would be nice to listen to some 40s and 50s music on the radio.

Posted on: 2016/4/25 9:02
1949 Oldsmobile
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A low antenna could be part of the no sound issue but also check for a disconnected antenna lead. The antenna end screws on, the radio end is a push in plug. Also check for anything that could have pinched or damaged the antenna lead. If it or the mast shorted to the car body there will be no signal.

The antenna is actually comprised of two or three sections. There are two inner lengths that are manually operated and the third is the vacuum operated portion. Each section is roughly two feet in length. The inner tubes may be oxidized and stuck together but unless the antenna body or cylinder is seriously damaged, you should be able to grab the end of mast that is extending above the body and manually pull the power operated portion up to the top of the cylinder. IIRC, the travel distance is 28 inches give or take.

The manual knob has a kind of clutch. Once the button for manual is pushed it is supposed to engage the clutch so the manual knob connects with the tuning mechanism.. It sounds as if the friction material has possibly shrunk or the mechanism is gummed up so the manual button is not moving its part to engage the mechanism. It may free up with a bit of exercise but also may take sending the radio to someone to have it cleaned and the mechanism lubed.

Posted on: 2016/4/25 9:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
I'll try to pull it up manually.

Posted on: 2016/4/25 9:45
1949 Oldsmobile
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved