Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 76

Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Three speed transmission rebuild
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
1951 model 200 standard transmission has had issues like slipping out of second gear. I have purchased a gear set from Tucson Packard to change out from my box. I will also replace clutch plate, bearing, disc, and is there a pilot bush at the tip,of the shaft ? Anyway looking for any advice about the change out before to paint myself into a corner.

Thanks

Posted on: 2016/4/24 23:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Three speed transmission rebuild
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Slipping out of 2nd gear is typically a matter of (1) abnormal clearances/end play, (2) worn interlock assembly, (3) improper linkage adjustment, or (4) bent shift rod. Unless you find some other damage it's very unlikely that the condition requires replacement of the gearsets.

There is a pilot shaft bearing, not a bushing. Transmission service information in the shop manual is quite comprehensive, I suggest you read that first before starting the job.

Posted on: 2016/4/25 8:31
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
I had hoped that the linkage was the problem. I have lubed attachment points, and greased the shaft that the linkage pivots on, but no improvement with coming out of gear. 2nd gear synchro is fairly weak. You have to double clutch to keep from grinding gears on downshift. There is no first gear synchro is that. Normal for this gear box? In second gear the shift lever wangles around when driving. When I lubed the linkage it got worse. The motor, transmission mounts look ok. Also there is a periodic noise that I think is the throw out bearing rattling. It comes and goes. So there are enough issues that I think pulling the transmission isn't a total waste of time. The shift linkage is very complex, but it looks ok to me. However I don't have anything to compare it to.

Posted on: 2016/4/26 10:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You have to double clutch to keep from grinding gears on downshift

Depends which downshift you're speaking of, yes you should have synchromesh downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, but no synchro from 2nd to 1st as was common on 3-speed transmissions of all makes of the era.

You say you lubricated the linkage but you didn't say if you checked the adjustment of same - that's a likely place to start.

Posted on: 2016/4/26 11:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved