Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
53 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 52

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic fluid check....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Hi Guys,

I know this is basic and I really did search for the answer, but I'm unsure how to check the Ultramatic fluid in my '54 Patrician. Engine running? Neutral or Park?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/4/28 22:20
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic fluid check....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This might help. The service manual is a little vague as to whether engine is running or not so per the second article which was issued when an early valve change was made, run the engine at 800 rpm in neutral for at least one minute. Park can also be used since the valves are in the same state as they are in neutral. The engine can then be stopped if desired. Fluid level needs to be checked within one minute after engine stops before it has a chance to drain out of the converter and back into the pan.

If you have the 54 gearstart with the dipstick in the engine compt, the engine is run in neutral or park at 800 rpm for a minute and then you drop down and stay at idle when fluid is checked.

Attach file:

jpg  (270.64 KB)
209_5722d7afc192d.jpg 1339X1464 px

jpg  (56.42 KB)
209_5722d92214fb6.jpg 1556X330 px

Posted on: 2016/4/28 22:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I always check while it's idling.

Posted on: 2016/4/29 16:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Thanks, guys. I've got the non gear start. The manual is unclear how to properly check it, and it's just so difficult to check it under the car...why on earth did the world's finest engineers design it that way?

Posted on: 2016/5/2 21:43
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
why on earth did the world's finest engineers design it that way?
I suspect that Packard expected most of their customers were well heeled and not the type to get their hands dirty. Most would take the car to the dealer or a garage for that kind of service. While the car was on the lift having the chassis lube done the fluid could be checked.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 21:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Bobby, take a moment to reflect on what the lubrication requirements were in those years when these cars were in regular daily use: generally the interval for an oil change and chassis grease job were every 1000 or 2000 miles. Thus the average car was in for service and on a lift at least every 8 weeks and often more frequently for it's grease job, oil change, and lube; thus it was entirely practical to check and add fluid when needed from below. And the other "world's finest engineers" at Cadillac and Buick did it the same way in the early years of automatic transmissions and no doubt for the same reason. And as HH suggests, owner's of high-end cars didn't grease and service their own cars.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 22:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I always took mine down to Wally's gas station and had Gomer or Goober check it.......
John

Posted on: 2016/5/4 11:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved