Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

JW49, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Sealing 41 Windsheild
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I am replacing the two piece Windsheild of my 41. The reveal molding is clean and ready to accept the glass and new rubber gasket. I was advised that I should use 3M bedding and glazing compound. I've heard a few different opinions regarding this product. I would like to hear from any Packard owners what you would use. I want to do it correct and want it to last. Thank you

Posted on: 2016/5/16 20:43
 Top  Print 

Re: Sealing 41 Windsheild
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Sorry I can't be of more help but I would say follow what the manufacturer of the rubber gasket recommends. I would say that would be your best bet.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/5/17 17:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I suspect that these forums are all read by the same people so perhaps it doesn't matter as the split windshield was also used later but it might not hurt to post in the prewar section rather than in the 46-54 section.

Posted on: 2016/5/18 14:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For what it's worth later service manuals for cars with split glass do recommend using a body sealer. I don't know what body sealer in that area would correspond to today. Other places in SMs that call for body sealer mean the rope caulk type stuff. Think for a windshield something that flows freely in the gasket and spaces would get in to seal better so unless there is something specific required for your particular gasket I would probably try the Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield sealant or an equivalent.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.65 KB)
209_573cc3a989945.jpg 940X600 px

Posted on: 2016/5/18 14:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I'm sorry, I'm not sure how I posted this in the post war section but "thank you" for bringing it to my attention. My hair went first, I guess now its the mind !!!!

Posted on: 2016/5/18 14:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you

Posted on: 2016/5/18 14:52
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
The proper sealant is 3M bedding and glazing compound (WindowWeld). It's available at NAPA auto parts and most other name brand stores, though it may be special order since it's not used much on modern cars.

Put it in a caulking gun and consider reinforcing the nozzle/tip with a piece of metal so you can really shove it under the gasket. The best way to seal a gasket windshield is to line the gasket with strip caulk in the channel before installing the gasket on the glass, and then to use the sealer once the glass is installed as well.

Posted on: 2016/5/18 15:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Although it was decades ago when I was a teenager, in giving it thought I don't recall using any sealant on the front or rear windows of my 1940 110 and they never leaked.

Posted on: 2016/5/18 18:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Don, I believe you are right , it appears that is was designed to seal with the rubber gasket along with the pressure of the garnish molding . I was advised by a supplier to use a little bedding/ glazing compound . No sure what is best but I guess it can't hurt.

Posted on: 2016/5/18 19:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If I were to use anything I'd use the appropriate 3M product; I can say I've never used a 3M product that didn't perform to complete satisfaction.

Posted on: 2016/5/18 22:26
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved