Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 Packard overdrive
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nivek123
See User information
will a 1948 Packard overdrive fit for a 1947 Packard? I have a 1948 Packard overdrive with transmission that works.

Posted on: 2016/5/28 16:22
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 Packard overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
Yes

Posted on: 2016/5/28 21:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on the engine. Transmissions used with 356 engines have a larger diameter input shaft. The 48 assy would need to be from a similar model to your 47 to have the clutch components fit and be a bolt in. Is the spare OD complete with all the extra pieces? Does your 47 have OD now?

48 production started with the same R9s 47s used but in mid production R11s were transitioned in. Your 48 could be either one and you will need to determine which. Both will work in a 47 if the input shafts are compatible but the electrical is quite different between the two.

If you don't have OD in the 47 those extra components -- relays, lockout cable, governor etc can be a significant expense if you have to buy them. R9s need the R9 specific electrical components and some of those items can be hard to find. R11s are more forgiving with their requirements. Both would also require extra mounting items and some changes to driveshaft etc.

Posted on: 2016/5/28 21:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nivek123
See User information
I bought the super clipper custom ,put it up on the rack and saw that it was changed out with a standard tranny.So I have a 48 OD from a 288

Posted on: 2016/5/29 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The overdrive from the 288 will have the smaller transmission input (clutch) shaft, so you would have to exchange it with the larger shaft and front cover from the transmission for the 356 engine.

Also, if the unit from the 288 is the R9 version, it will be the lighter duty type. The overdrive used with the 356 engine is the R9A and either one can be identified by the numbers cast into the right side of the overdrive case.

The R11 overdrives used from later 1948 models to 1950 are the same for all engine with the exception of the larger input shaft for the 356.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 14:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I really do not recommend using the small R9 with a 356. The three pinion planetary is not up to it. Better to find an Rll and slap your input shaft into that.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 18:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nivek123
See User information
I have a 1946 super clipper, that I was going to restore but it's kind of a basket case. So that means I need to pull that over to my shop and pull the driveshaft and the overdrive from that one, I guess. Does anybody have a 47 super clipper overdrive for sale? Kevin

Posted on: 2016/5/30 14:27
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved