Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 92

HH56, 29tons, Marvin, AA115C, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1952 250 convertible hydraulics wont work
Just popping in
Just popping in

robsweet
See User information
I have a 1952 250 convertible. it was completely restored in 1990, but mainly kept in storage since.

Recently I had a very hard time getting her started, so I took it to a friend's shop and they changed the solenoid, points cleaned up the starter and generator, and a new battery.

Before all this happened the hydraulic worked fine for the windows/convertible top/power seat. But now, none will work. I am trying to figure out if there is a fuse that I am missing? Also the tail lights/brake lights and turn signals wont work either.

I am wondering if that while trying to jump it, I possibly fried the fuses, but I cant find any fuses to check.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2016/6/19 20:10
 Top  Print   

Re: 1952 250 convertible hydraulics wont work
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are no fuses for those items. The hydraulic switches and wiring have a circuit breaker located at the pump. When they changed the starter solenoid is there a chance the pump did not get hooked back up properly? It connects to the battery post at the starter solenoid.

The brake, turn signal and tail lights is more puzzling. No fuse there either -- a circuit breaker on the headlight switch for the tail lights and a circuit breaker fed from the ign switch on the back of the instrument cluster for the turn signals. Brakes are fed off another circuit breaker on back of cluster with voltage all the time.

If it were only the brake and turn signals I would suspect the round plug under the edge of dash coming out of the steering column. Both functions use the same filament at the bulbs so wire from brake switch goes thru the turnsignal switch and then to the bulbs. If the tail lights are involved it makes that seem less likely because the tail light wire comes off the headlight switch and directly feeds the other filaments at the tail light bulbs. There may be an inline connector under the dash where one portion of the main loom joins the body loom. Not all cars have one but if you do and someone was working under the dash it is possible both plug and connector were loosened.

Did you jump with 12v and perhaps burn out the bulbs? Do the headlights and parking lights work? Any thing else not working -- license or trunk light or courtesy lights?

If the bulbs and connectors are OK another possibility is the ground. The lights rely on a solid connection between the housings and body. Sometimes storage in less than ideal conditions allows the surfaces to oxidize and ground is lost. Seems strange that would happen to both sides though.

Posted on: 2016/6/19 20:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

robsweet
See User information
Thank you for the pointers. My Mechanic called this morning and said "bring it back in, I may have hooked something up wrong when I put it back together."

once we get the hydraulic pump figured out then we will work on the lights.

I will post what I find out!

Posted on: 2016/6/20 12:03
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

robsweet
See User information
You were right. I took it in and they had hooked it up wrong. As for the rear lights, yes they had blown, so now she is road ready.

Thank you!

Posted on: 2016/6/29 6:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved