Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

hot engine hard starting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Ok...my 1937 Super Eight has now started causing me grief.
I know that this topic has been discussed many times in the past..(but I never paid attention because I didn't have the problem at the time.)
My electric fuel pump is working fine, so vapor lock is not the problem.
Battery is at 6.3V so that doesn't seem to be the problem.
As soon as it cools down, it starts in 2 seconds.

Any creative hints would be appreciated.

It makes me reluctant to stop at a gas station....

Posted on: 2016/7/6 22:22
 Top  Print   

Re: hot engine hard starting
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Give us more symptoms etc. Does it crank very slowly when you have the problem? Does it crank well and just not fire? Does any fuel run out of the intake manifold lower check valve?? etc etc

Posted on: 2016/7/6 23:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Thanks, Fred,for the questions....
Yes, it cranks fast.
Will have to run a test today to answer your other questions.
I am wondering if it could be a weak coil that tends to fail when the engine gets hot?!?!?!!?

I also am running antifreeze in the system. I have a vague memory of reading that plain distilled water conducts heat better than antifreeze.
Yesterday I drove about 15 miles...Outside temp was 96, humidity 85..Temp gauge was at 200. I drive this car 1000 miles a year and it has never overheated.

Thanks for helping in the analysis.

(Sure wish I could go back and spend the summers on my old farm in Tranquility, NJ!!!)

Posted on: 2016/7/7 7:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
My 38 super eight does the same thing, except it has no electric fuel pump. I ran it on a 100 degree day without any issues, but you shut it off you better be ready to sit there for a half an hour before it would start again.

Posted on: 2016/7/7 9:19
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Crazy as this might sound - run without the Air Silencer/Cleaner and c if this solves ur problem.

After a run and shutting down for a short time ive found that HEAT collects in that Big Black Can. When u go to do a start that pocket of hot air is drawn into the carb/engine and screws up the mixture. Ive adapted a modern elements to my cars which give u better cleaning anyway and hung the Black thing on the wall.

Posted on: 2016/7/7 9:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
As a novice, I have an old Harley that ran and started perfect, run it for an hour no problem, shut it off then go to try to start again, nothing ( pain in the A** at gas stations). Chased it for a month, turned out to be the coil.
Just a thought
W

Posted on: 2016/7/7 10:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I'm going to echo wjames' comment suggesting the coil. My '54 Convertible had the same problem and a club member recommended replacing the coil. When I took the high tension lead off, sure enough the coil tower was rusted internally. Haven't had the problem in the two years since I replaced that ignition coil.

Posted on: 2016/7/7 23:29
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
You don't want to use distilled or deionized water in your system. Being in the Houston area where you don't need to worry about freezing, you could switch from antifreeze coolant to a product like No-Rosion and purified water (which has low calcium
and magnesium but some minerals). Water has about two times the heat removing ability versus a 50:50 glycol:water system.

Since your car starts fine and runs good when hot, two biggest areas of problem would be either fuel or spark.

1) Remove your air cleaner when it it how and see if it getting gas.
2) Check spark when it is hot and compare it when engine is cold.

If the spark is weak when hot, check all connections that are involved in the "Spark Plug" realm to ensure that they are clean and tight and that the coil wire is in great shape. Cleanup your points with a points file and regap if necessary. Clean the post inside the distributor cap and the rotor. Wipe the inside of the cap to ensure that there is no electrical conducting dust inside the cap (e.g. carbon). If you still have a problem replace the coil.

Note: you may just want to do all of the steps in the above paragraph (except replace coil) as a good maintenance on your car.

Posted on: 2016/7/8 2:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Hmmmm...My father taught me (back in 1957) to ALWAYS use distilled water. Certainly would not use our well water...too much calcium.
Will spend most of today stepping through your list and will report back tonight...

Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/7/8 8:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Try running the car with just water. If you no longer have a cooling problem, then add No-Rosion to prevent corrosion. If you still have a cooling issue, then I would flush the system and then try it again with plain water.

Posted on: 2016/7/8 12:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved