Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
58 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 57

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

26th, 55th, and 56th Series Starter Compatibility?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Lex
See User information
Still running through 12V starter options for my 26th series 288ci I8 Clipper. There's a seller on eBay making starters with indexable flanges/noses for 55th and 56th series cars, and I'm wondering if the 26th series uses the same mounting flange, gear pitch, throw, etc. The starter assembly and case part numbers listed in the literature section do not match between 26th, 55th, and 56th series, which is a bad start. But I'm hoping the gents at Kanter, or someone else familiar with multiple series, can confirm similarities or differences between the starter flanges, gears, and rings. I have good measurement of the 26th series flange and nose, and can get them for the gear teeth and throw if needed for comparison.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 11:53
[u
 Top  Print   

Re: 26th, 55th, and 56th Series Starter Compatibility?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Lex
See User information
Update: Ross has answered this question in another thread. Mods, feel free to delete this thread.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 12:03
[u
 Top  Print   

Re: 26th, 55th, and 56th Series Starter Compatibility?
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
In general, mos straight 8 and 6cylinder starters 35-54 are very similar (Except 35-39 Full Classics) The flywheel ring gear is the same part #. 55th and 56th series are V-8's which are not compatible with with earlier straight 6 and 8 engines

Suggest getting your starter converted to 12V

Posted on: 2016/7/25 12:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved