Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
60 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 58

BigKev, Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 12 »

Re: New Gas Tank Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The customer who has the "problem" said he paid about $500 which would be our deluxe kit including gauge, ring, straps and cap. As he has a new cap with fresh gasket material the answer is that it still leaks, if not from the gasket then surely from the vent.

On the test of our '52 with an original design cap it leaks from the vent on hard RH cornering. The car was driven with the steering fully to the right lock and then accelerated to maximum speed before sliding, perhaps 25 mph.

Gas cap gaskets are typically hard and stiff so they don't tear and are supported by a metal disc. We have hundreds in stock for all makes and models.

Posted on: 2016/8/1 12:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I have to side with Fred on this issue. It is a,replacement tank in the sense that you can install it in your Packard. The indentation allows for use of an unvented cap.... Big deal.
IIt is reasonably priced and I wished it had been available when I was doing my Caribbean. I had to search for a solid core and the spend more to have it cleaned and coated so that it would last for the duration......and the cost for that service was more than Kamter charges for the replacement.
If one chooses to be a,purist and have a tank without the notch.....buy a good used tank and have it refurbished.
If you do not want a drip from an old vented tank, stop filling before it reaches the level of the filler tube, avoid sharp turns and park out of the sun.

Posted on: 2016/8/2 0:02
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

VesPac
See User information
Yes, I have deluxe kit with new non vented cap from the kit and new vented cap. I don't see any difference.
I have also send picture by e-mail how it looks like when gas melting under body coating and it "painting" back quarter below filling hatch. I don't know amount of spilling gas but it is much more than just make the filling neck wet. Lets say straight I will be really happy if it leaking so less as your gas tank in the picture.

All this with 3/4 full tank (if your kit gas sending unit works right with original gauge)

I'm ashamed to say that $500 is big money to me. I'm not person who make epoxy patents or anything like that to gas tank and like I told earlier don't like to hear from sales person something like that "use JB welding" I'm not sales person, but I like to hear more like "what we can do to make you happy" All respect but I think it is not what you have to do if you have quality parts.

Now I know logical reason for notch and will be nice to know also logical reason for stupid location in bottom half why not top half? (sorry this, it's just my personal opinion).

I like to send gas tank back after my vacation. (remove the gas tank after vacation is not my first project)

I drive my Packard with it's proud and I'm sure that my driving style is not a reason for leakage.

Thanks
J. Vestman

Posted on: 2016/8/8 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Thanks for your comments. Our sales staff already offered you to return the tank which I see is what you want to do.
So I see that we offered what you wanted to make you happy.

When it is received we will install it in our 55 Caribbean and diagnose the problem

Posted on: 2016/8/8 18:05
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

VesPac
See User information
Sure I'm not happy due I have to waste my time with this. Let's say I'm happier if:
1. Replace the gas tank with out notch.
2. Just new filler neck tube with out notch.
3. Money compensation.

Due I'm not only who have problem like this you cant do anything else just take gas tank back.

One funny thing, I ask sales staff compensation because I have purchased the new gas tank and still have leakage problem "how about $6 what is rough amount of JB weld" no... It's your style to make business someone like it but sorry I don't.

Sorry Sir, just like to say you wasting your time to make any future diagnose and its clear for me and also to someone else here that notch is not right size or/and right place if its even needed, but it's you call.

Thanks
J.Vestman

Attach file:

jpg  (64.07 KB)
138828_57aabbd3580e5.jpg 600X800 px

jpg  (45.34 KB)
138828_57aabbe168c8d.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2016/8/10 0:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
that is a lot of fuel spillage. can't speak as to how it got there. I don't have one of the new tanks, but did plan on buying one eventually. I'm also curious to see the results when Kanter puts it in their car and tests it. if the results are the same, then maybe Kanter could discount these tanks for those that are okay with some jb weld and a punch to relocate the vent to the top.

then they can run the next production run at current prices with the vent at the top.

idk. thoughts in my head. I have no business expertise and I stake no claims in this discussion. just things I think about as I'm watching this drama unfold.

I can tell you that I'm holding on buying a tank at this point till I see more. cause I really don't want to be someone having to deal with this myself. although JB weld and relocating the vent to the top isn't beyond what I would do myself if I had one.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 9:17
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That does look to be a much deeper and lower positioned notch and unless it is just camera angle even a different rim arrangement than the original shown a few posts earlier.

I agree that it would seem the notch would work better on the top because of the centrifugal action but not filling the tank full and stopping the fill at the point near the top of tank where the old whistles quit their noise might work too.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 9:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rblum
See User information
Been watching this topic unfold and just want to relate my experience. I have had a gasoline expansion issue ever since I purchased my 52 200 sedan. At various times I've experienced the same volume of gas residue on my quarter panel as Mr. Vestman. A few years back I purchase brand new gas caps from a reputable vendor and although it provided a better result the new cap did not eliminate the issue. I've never viewed it as a safety issue unless your smoking and leaning over the filler tube at the same time. Come to think of it my dad had plenty of cars from the 50's and 60's that reeked of gas fumes from time to time. I concur with Ross's comments in an earlier post on this subject. I don't believe it is the problem it's being made out to be! Been running the car since 2005.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 12:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
As I detailed in this blog, tanks on most makes cars overflowed when topped off with cool gasoline when it was warm out. Laws of physics cannot be modified.

On several mentions on the depth of the notch, keep in mind that depth cannot be ascertained from a straight on 2 dimensional photo. All our tanks have exactly the same depth notches.

It is clear that if the notch were higher it would be better but I'm not sure it would make a difference. The center of the vented cap is less than 1/2" higher and the vertical height of the fill tube is approx 14", so it would increase the opening to 14 1/2". When fuel sloshes or expands it goes all the way to the top edge so if the notch were at the top it would still bleed out.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 13:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
To Mr. Vestman,

You said you refuse to fill the notch with JB Weld but you would be happy with a new neck. Installing a new neck is not a simple procedure as the joint with the tank must be perfect.

Much easier, remove the tank, saw off the top inch or two , turn it and rejoin it. Let us know if that solves your problem

Posted on: 2016/8/10 13:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved