Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 87

Chuck McDonald, acolds, kevinpackard, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Electronic ignition conversion HELP
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

paintdaddy
See User information
So I converted my 54 clipper 327 over to electronic ignition.All was great at first.After driving it a few times ,I started losing spark out of the cap.I decided to buy another kit and try again.Started great,idled great.Went for a drive,engine was knocking,pinging,and surging.Also a new issue has occurred but may not be related,feels like it doesn't down shift when stopping and the car dies.I think that the distributor must be moving or advancing or retarding .Should the distributor be able to move,it doesn't seem to tighten down and lock.Any help is greatly appreciated

Posted on: 2016/8/13 17:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Electronic ignition conversion HELP
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes. the distributor should lock down and not turn.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 17:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is the car converted to 12v or still 6. If 6, many reports of the 6v Pertronix systems being flaky. Sometimes they work beautifully and the next time the car won't start or runs poorly due to voltage loss and instability.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 17:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

paintdaddy
See User information
Car is still 6 volt positive ground

Posted on: 2016/8/13 17:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though converting 6-volt systems from points and condenser to Pertronix is just folly IMO, since your car starts well I doubt that's the issue. I'd start by giving the car a full comprehensive tuneup and in particular I'd pull the distributor for a thorough examination.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 17:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Aside from figuring out what is happening inside and why the distributor won't lock down I would look very carefully at all the connections from the battery to the unit. Make sure they are clean and tight.

Believe the Pertronix works on TTL logic which requires a very stable voltage in a narrow range of 5v +/- a few hundredths of a volt. Anything below a 6.3v supply which in turn is dropped to the voltage requirements of the circuitry and the logic starts acting up. 12v units work well because there is lots of room as the excess is regulated down to the 5v logic requirements. When you only have 6v to start with there is no room for much voltage drop before the regulated supply to the chip is also impacted

Posted on: 2016/8/13 17:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll have to agree with Owen. I'll take it one step further. Converting ANY ignition point system to E-ignition is folly. ESPECIALY 6 volt for the reason that HH56 outlines above.

(only exception is SOME (but not all) small lawnmower type engines or chainsaws, things like that)

Posted on: 2016/8/13 17:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The Autolite distributor is supposed to move as that is how the vacuum advance works--the vacuum advance stays still and pulls the distrib. back and forth. Works great and amazes the the locals as you blip the throttle and it moves.

The problem with the transmission is completely unrelated to the ignition and is caused by the governor in the trans having a small piece of dirt in it which keeps it from downshifting. You can search that topic many times over on the forum here.

Having been down the Pertronix road I suggest you buy yourself $30 worth of standard points, condensor, rotor etc and carefully put it in. That will hold you for the next 20,000 miles or so.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 17:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Paintdaddy
Can u post a pic of the distributor please???

Posted on: 2016/8/13 17:58
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

paintdaddy
See User information
Can't seem to ah pics from phone or IPad ,it's an Auto lite dist.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 18:51
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved