Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 starter button install
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Hi, my starter button on my 1939 Super-8 died on me so I got a new one to replace and wondered if anyone replaced theirs or your light switch which is next to it. It seems my dash was made into 2 parts - the large part and the small central part which holds the starter button, light switch, the lighter, ignition switch and hand throttle. At the top of this small central piece is the ashtray which I slid out. My question is does this small central part of the dashboard pop away from the main dash cleanly, so I can easily get at the two 1/4" nuts to remove the starter switch or would the small plastic dash part break into millions of pieces because it's not supposed to come apart. It's almost next to impossible to remove the nuts from underneath and behind and pretty much forget trying to attach the 2 nuts back on (it's so dark and tight in there!).

Thanks for any info!

Steve

Posted on: 2016/8/16 11:32
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 starter button install
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Steve(DrMorbius),
Although a PackardInfo member for a long time, your first posts so

I invite you to include your '39 Super 8 in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 17:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

stever1931@aol.com
See User information
Do you know how to remove the instrument Panel. The wiring behind mine caught fire and I can't get the instrument panel off. I took out screws at the bottom but it's still secure at the top. Can you advise me ????? e-mail stever1931@aol.com. cell 708-525-4424

Posted on: 2016/8/16 20:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day stever1931@aol.com,
to PackardInfo. I invite you to include your Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 20:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Those old dashboards are a chore. Nothing snaps together.
When they were built the dash went into the car with the harness feeding through the cowl. They were assembled on the bench and installed before the interior and steering column.

So you have to get under and behind to get at the screws/nuts. You need a magnetic socket/bit or a little strip caulk to keep the fasteners in place and not fall off.

Whenever I handled bad starter switches I also added a 6 volt VW headlight relay to change the switch to a low load device.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 6:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

stever1931@aol.com wrote:
Do you know how to remove the instrument Panel. The wiring behind mine caught fire and I can't get the instrument panel off. I took out screws at the bottom but it's still secure at the top. Can you advise me ????? e-mail stever1931@aol.com. cell 708-525-4424

On some dashes the individual sections will come out but as Tim said that is usually a chore and sometimes the nuts and bolts are covered by something else so you cannot get an angle or access to the fastener with the dash installed.

You might remove the garnish molding around the windshield and have a look. In addition to the large screws at the bottom corners plus whatever attachment to the steering column, handles, linkage etc on the bottom edge there might be, every Packard I have worked on has a row of screws across the top of the dash hidden by the garnish molding. Once those are out, with the help of another body the entire dash will generally come out.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 8:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
If the car still has the original wiring, the insulation will be prone to cracking which could cause a short and fire. So you will want to disconnect the battery. If you find out that you need to remove the dash or a part of it you might want to consider a new dash wiring harness.

Posted on: 2016/8/20 10:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Steve(DrMorbius),
for including not only your '39 Super Eight Convertible Sedan but also your '54 Pacific Hardtop in the Packard Owner's Registry!

Posted on: 2016/8/21 4:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I never had to remove the dashboard to service any of the components. A mirror and safe lighting will help, some creative vocabulary, and manual dexterity. As I recall that switch is held in place with slotted screws. You can buy a KD screw holder for reinstallation at a good auto parts store like NAPA, or use strip caulk, or a magnetic bit.

However, I have normal body mass. If I was too big to get under the dash I would unbolt the seat (if applicable) before trying to remove the dash. I also covered the upholstery with blankets to prevent soiling.

As well, there was a service bulletin advising to fabricate studs from 10-32 screws and reinstall using nuts for hard to service components.

Posted on: 2016/8/21 6:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
I need more like a nut holder, not a screw holder since the screws are imbedded into the dash.

Posted on: 2016/8/21 15:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved